Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
alpha1

Re: T510 + i5 540M = terrible whine noise!

[ Edited ]

Whine noise here too. Manufacturer part no: 43147RU.

This comes with SSD. The whine noise is reduced or goes away when the CPU workload increases (say starting from around 29% according to the CPU meter).

Did a small test to verify this by writing a simple C program with an infinite while loop and an arithmetic operation inside the loop. The whine was greatly reduced. The fan did kick in, though.

A while loop without the arithmetic operation seemed to provide this balance between the fan noise (quieter fan noise) and a loud whine (noise was reduced).

The loop was something like:

float a = 22.7;

while(1==1) {

a = a * 3 / 2;

}

Update: tried booting into safe mode with networking and indeed the whine noise doesn't seem to come up. Stayed in this mode for a couple of minutes. The fan was relatively loud and constantly working. Not sure if the fan being continuiously on has anything to do with that specific test.

We seem to be among the "guinea pigs" for laptops with intel i3,i5,i7 processors. Apparently vendors, or at least some of them, can't seem to get the laptops to operate quietly with such processors. Anyway, I'm hoping that this is a software issue that can be resolved soon, or at least get some idea of what it might be related to.

Paper Tape
panros

[ Edited ]

Same high noise here, on my T510 i5 540M. But not if I boot in safe mode, with or without networking support.

Has anyone else noticed ? I've upgraded every driver to the latest versions available through Lenovo, but nothing changes, in Normal mode.

Any news from Lenovo?

Thanks!

---

Machine Type Model:        4384WC5

Operating System:            Win 7 Pro 32bit

BIOS version:                     1.24-1.13

Frequency of occurence: 100% in Normal mode

Power Manager version:  3.25

Blue Screen Again
albertwu

[ Edited ]

All of a sudden, the ThinkPad T510 on lenovo.com says it "Ships in more than 4 weeks." Does this suggest that Lenovo has resolved the whine problem, or is it just a website glitch?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.det...

What's DOS?
harbaw

Wanted to chime in with the identical problem.

T510, 4313CTO, i5 540, HDD.

Like others, the whine is reduced with AC power, but still exists.  I have access to acoustic testing equipment so I may test for frequency and loudness on the unit. 

Hopefully lenovo can release a BIOS upgrade with Intel's cooperation about this CPU noise. 

Fanfold Paper
amirrorbehind

My solution: return of T510.

Punch Card
section8

[ Edited ]

albertwu wrote:

All of a sudden, the ThinkPad T510 on lenovo.com says it "Ships in more than 4 weeks." Does this suggest that Lenovo has resolved the whine problem, or is it just a website glitch?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.det...

All the T410/T410s models are showing over 4 week ship dates also.  

Must be a reason.

Token Ring
napalm

They had a 25% off sale during this weekend. Probably they got too many orders.

Nap. :smileytongue:

Token Ring
napalm

T510 with 540M processor here too. No noise....

Nap.

Paper Tape
alpha1

[ Edited ]

Napalm, When did you purchase your laptop, when did you receive it, and what's the manufacturer part no.?

Thanks!

Punch Card
buckling_spring

Took delivery of my T510 two weeks ago with the i7 620 chip.  I have the whine, but it is not too bad yet.  Thank heavens for ambient background noise - I think if I was in a very quiet room it would really start to bother me.