Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
znoonz

Re: T510 + i5 540M = terrible whine noise!

Disabling the CPU Power Management feature does not completely fix the noise, it decreases the noise level alot, but the high pitched whine can still be heard if you are in a silent room.

And no - it is not my hdd that plays me tricks, because I have a SSD.

And its not the fan, since that is not a "whine" sound.

1 week after I got my T510, i disabled the CPU Power Management and chose to run on "Maximum performance" power scheme, to decrease the noise level from the cpu whine to a workable level. Luckily I mainly use my computer on the PSU, but its true the settings has impact on the battery life.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
cl70

Is this the official Lenovo fix for the problem?  It does not make sense.  It is like buying a car with a gas/petrol saving feature but you are told to turn off the feature to use more gas to fix a noise in the engine?

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 78
Kudos: 247
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

For your information, the engineering i've been contacting does not have this issue with his T510. Therefore, he is now looking for volunteers specifically from US, to send in the machine for 'check-up'. So far I have received a few PMs, and i shared the list with the team. Hopefully this issue could have a solution with the aid of your help.

Thank you!

Regards,

Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Punch Card
quadsbaby

Cleo, one thing that is worth noting is that the sound being produced seems to be around the 17-18KHz range... make sure your engineer can hear that high frequency noise (most people over 30 cannot). 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
blindzior

Hope Lenovo comes with some kind of solution. No point in having i5 and be forced to work on 1200Mhz. :-)

I will never buy high-end laptop again! ;-)

Ctrl-Alt-Del
BenVis

[ Edited ]
Cleo, one thing that is worth noting is that the sound being produced seems to be around the 17-18KHz range... make sure your engineer can hear that high frequency noise (most people over 30 cannot).

This is an important point.  Your engineer might not hear that frequency, or might be in a noisy environment.  Someone mentioned having sound measurement tools.  Maybe getting some kind of average sound pressure level would help.  It  could at least provide the Lenovo engineers the info they need to test their sound detection protocol.

Punch Card
natbuk

Just got my T510 yesterday - I think I can hear the whining/wheedling noise you're talking about.

Regarding measurments, the built-in mic will pick it up.

I did the follwoing:

Installed Audacity.

Went to the recording devices mixer->Advanced - switched to 96kHz 24 bit (to give it the best chance of picking up low level HF)

I also unchecked the 'enable audio enhancments' box, in case the audio chip is monkeying around with the sound from the (two?) microphones.

Then with the screen at 90 degrees, make a 96kHz recording in audacity (try not to make any noise while you're recording!)

Then, in Aduacity->Effect->High Pass filter, apply a 12dB/8ve 5kHz filter to the audio (just gets rid of the roaring noise which is probably the lf noise in the mic amp)

Then apply some gain (if you're deaf, which you're probably not if the wheedling noise was bothering you in the first place).

Actually, the filtering and gain are not necessary and the wheedling noise is clearly audible just in the recording.

In my opinion, the noise is a little annoying, and I wish it wasn't there, but every computer I've ever had (including x60, x61, x41, t60, Sonys)  make similar wheedling noises - most electronics does - even desktop boards (it's just that the fans normally drown it out - but I did once make a fanless desktop, and the mobo wheedled away merrily!) I think partly the reason it's noticeable is that I have an SSD and the fan is noise is well tamed in the T510.

It's probably the inductor in the switching PSU - as the current draw is modulated by the varying CPU load, so the magnetic field in the inductor is similarly modulated. The core and windings excert some force on each other, and any slight movements generates some sound.

It would be interesting to compare results with other T510 owners - it may be that some units (due to manufacturing spread on the inductors) are worse than others. If you do exatly what I did above (but don't apply any gain) then in audacity do analyse->plot spectrum (choosing 16384 points, log frequency scale, hanning window) I get:

Wheedling noise T510

Hope that photo link works...

What do you get?

N.

Punch Card
natbuk

[ Edited ]

Oh rats. The photo link didn't work. Trying another way....

LINK

moderator note: link fixed

Punch Card
natbuk

What you can (though not very clearly) see in the plot is that there's a peak at 8kHz - That's mostly what I can hear - (if you want a quick reference, in audacity, generate a quiet (say amplitude 0.01) 8kHz tone and compare it to the recording you made - it sounds about 8Khz to me) -  though it's not a static tone and is clearly modulated by something - might be the OS waking up at 8Khz, CPU works a bit, then sleeps? Or maybe it's much worse/different on other T510s?

Paper Tape
adam1106

We have about 30 T510s and they are all making the noise. It only starts after windows has fully booted up.

Setting the bios CPU Power Management to disabled stops the noise but this is not a very good solution.

Lenovo if you need a sample machine I could send one of ours in.

Product ID:43142PU