Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: T510 + i5 540M = terrible whine noise!

All,

Service has parts available that should operate quieter.  We would need to review individual repair records of those that have obtained service in order to confirm the right parts were used.

This thread is quite long and it is unlikely that everyone commenting has read since the beginning.

Lenovo has responded several times in this thread and we have provided revised parts through service which can be used to address individual cases in which a significant and abnormal high pitched noise is evident.

If you experiencing these symptoms, please contact service.

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
andpgud

[ Edited ]

I will go with my laptop "AGAIN" tomorrow and leave it at the service. This will be the third time I leave it there. If the noise will be still there I will be wanting a new computer.

I bought this laptop and it was the most expensive one in the shop just to be problemfree. It went the other way around.

Serial Port
There1

Yeah um ok.  What about those who sent theirs multiple times, got parts replaced, had their OS downgraded, warranty expired and STILL have the noise?  smh  I could've gotten two laptops with the specs I have on my T510 but chose Lenovo because maybe I wouldn't have problems like this.  smh    

Serial Port
There1

So after complaining to them (emails) that they failed to get rid of the noise they ended up setting up an on service repair.  

Guy came and was supposed to replace my perfectly functioning fan, told him that would be a waste.  He ended up letting me keep the fan for future use.  He also told me they wont replace my laptop.

I noticed that after getting my motherboard, hard drive, cd-drive replaced the noise has been reduced.  However I can still hear it, I guess it all depends on how well you hear but I certainly notice it still, it's annoying especially with someone like me that is obsessed with having everything perfect.  More importantly with the money we paid for these machines they shouldn’t have these problems.  

Anyways, I noticed that when I power on my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse 5000 and start to move it around and use it the noise dramatically increases.  Also my power brink now is making this noise.  It varies randomly, sometimes it's loud sometimes there's no noise at all.  Keep in mind that I have a U.S. T510 with the AC adapter and plug.  

Is this a CPU problem because if it is why haven't they replaced our CPUs?  Is it because these models are made around the CPU we currently and that would mean if we did replace the CPU with the second gen. Intel chips that it would cause even more problems?

Punch Card
andpgud

Any update on this'?
Serial Port
There1

Me?  Nope, nada.  Now the noise is loud as can be but it's coming from my power brick (AC Adapter).  I still have it near the RAM but it's not as loud as the brick, nevertheless I can still hear it and it bothers the heck out of me smh.  

Broadband 3G
JDay

There1 wrote:

Me?  Nope, nada.  Now the noise is loud as can be but it's coming from my power brick (AC Adapter).  I still have it near the RAM but it's not as loud as the brick, nevertheless I can still hear it and it bothers the heck out of me smh.  

You're hearing acoustic vibrations from the capatictors in the power brick. It is perfectly normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

Serial Port
There1

Yeah but it's annoying to hear if you're in a quiet room you'd bother people around you...Also that noise is basically the same as the noise in the laptop it's just way louder.  I originally thought that since it has a U.S. AC adapter and plug and that I’m currently in Europe that it’s making that particular noise because it’s converting the voltage...   

Broadband 3G
JDay

[ Edited ]

There1 wrote:

I originally thought that since it has a U.S. AC adapter and plug and that I’m currently in Europe that it’s making that particular noise because it’s converting the voltage...   

The same brick is used world wide, the only difference is the power cable going into the wall. And it always converts the input power from AC to DC.

SCSI Port
nkull

Mark, you say there are parts available that will help with this high-pitch noise (My T510 has this issue, still under warrantee, I have really good ears at the high end range and this does drive me nuts when on battery) ... Can you expand on that as to what parts are being replaced to fix this?   Is it the CPU?   I don't think I have any issue with the Fan here.

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine