Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jigsatics

T510 with docking station does not work without AC adapter?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just got  a docking station for my T510 and I attached 2 extrenal monitors to it. I noticed that if I don't plug the AC adapter to the docking station, none of the 2 monitors work including any peripherals that I attached to its USB ports. Is this normal?

Before I had the docking station, I used to attach 1 external monitor to create a dual screen setup (1 ext and the laptop LCD) even if it's running on battery. Why can't the docking station do this?

Also, I spend more time using the laptop with the docking station nowadays, would you recommend removing the battery? Since I had to use the 2 ext monitors, I always had to plug the AC adapter.

Thanks!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: T510 with docking station does not work without AC adapter?

For lenovo thinkpads you have to have the ac plugged in to get the dock to work. I suggest you leave the battery plugged to act as a UPS. You can prevent majority of battery degradation by setting the charging threshold to start charging the battery at say 70 % and stop at 95%.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
hseb

With my new T420 I experienced once docking station was working even without AC adapter. In system tray I got a message "warning, you are not connected to AC". But later on it stopped working and the docking station and all peropherals (monitor, USB) don't work. It would be nice to make it back working if there is such option.

802.11n
CorkyG

The docking station has no built-in battery pack,  A/C is its only source of power.  This has always been the case.