Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
freebody

T520 DVD drive auto-off

Hi,

When I got my T520 yesterday, the dvd drive is automatically powered off when becomes idle for a while.

After I re-installed Windows 7 x64 this morning, and the dvd drive cannot be automatically powered off.

I have the latest power manager (and power manager driver) installed. I did some google search, it seems there should be an option that I can turn this feature on in/off the power manager.

The strange thing is the "system settings" under "power plans" tab in the thinkpad power manager only has 4 options instead of 6.

They are:

system performance

cpu deeper sleep

optimize fan control to

display brightness.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: T520 DVD drive auto-off

Try ejecting the drive and reinserting it.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
freebody

Thanks for your suggestion!

But that did not solve the problem.

In fact, after I unplugged my ac adapter, the dvd drive was automatically powered off. I then right clicked  the icon of the dvd drive and clicked "power on", nothing happened. There is still no option to enable/disable this feature in the power manager in any situations I,ve encountered.

The only way I can power on the dvd drive is to reboot the computer.

What's DOS?
jakesterpdx

I've got the same issue, and the only way I can fix it is to reboot, too. Quite annoying.

Guru
ExJamJus

@All,

In Power Manager, switch to advance, then in the power plan, there should be a tab to prevent DVD-rom from going into "sleep", in the "Idle" tab.
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Blue Screen Again
joeybarker

I have the same issue;  I do not have an option in Power Manger to turn the auto off feature on or off.  The drive seems to lose power, the only way to eject the CD is to eject the drive or reboot.  I also have an open case with Lenovo regarding this issue and I've gotten no where with Tech. support over the phone.

Fanfold Paper
jdps150

Just got my t530 2 days ago,
Same problem.
No option in power settings either
Token Ring
alvinwong

Like this for my T430? http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T430-optical-drive-power-management/m-p/883...

Install the newest AHCI driver then there will be the option in Power Manager.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Mine wakes up when I push the eject button. After a while it will go offline again asleep (power saving). I may check later and see if there is a bios setting to keep this on all the time since I bought a HD caddy for the Ultrabay but don't have a HD yet. I prefer it to stay alive all the time as in my older notebook.

I am guessing the eject button does not wake it up for you now.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Blue Screen Again
joeybarker

Downloading the latest Intel Rapid Storage Driver and Lenovo's Power Manger 6 gave me the option to change the CD ROM drives' power state but, it didn't fix the issue.  The drive is still powering off and the only way to eject is to reboot or use a paper clip to remove the CD.