Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
HungryCory

T520: Monitor does not turn on after boot or waking from sleep

I have a pretty standard T520, the only modifications are upgrading to a larger battery and higher screen resolution (1600x1200), and am currently running windows 7 64bit.  Whenever I turn on the machine from a powered off state, or if I try and wake it up from being asleep, 2/3 of the time the monitor will fail to turn on.  I am only able to remedy this by closing the lid, letting it go to sleep again, opening it again, holding down the fn key (if that even helps), and hoping it turns on the next time.  On a fresh boot, the screen backlight is on, but there is never anything displayed on the monitor, so I cannot even go in to the BIOS.  To get to the BIOS, I have to boot normally, repeatedly open/close the monitor until it displays something, reboot, and hope the monitor is still working after the reboot.

The forum posts I have seen on this topic seem to only relate to this problem with external monitors; however, this is occuring with the laptop monitor itself.

Has anyone else had this issue, or know of ways to correct it?

Blue Screen Again
HungryCory

Re: T520: Monitor does not turn on after boot or waking from sleep

One other note: I am not hearing the hard drive start spinning on the times that the monitor does not turn on when returning from hibernate.  When the monitor does turn on, there is the distinct sound of the hard drive starting up, and I can feel a bit of torque within the laptop from the hdd.

Blue Screen Again
HungryCory

This problem also seems to be getting worse over time.  Initially it would take 1-3 iterations of opening/closing the laptop lid to have the monitor turn on.  Now it is 2-20 just to be able to use the machine.

Fanfold Paper
killjoy1959

I think Lenovo has a hard drive diagnostic