Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
kingofthering

T520 Optimus headache.

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

I've been using a T520 (i5-2520, 4GB RAM) with the Optimus-equipped NVS card for a few months now. For some strange reason I cannot run Nvidia's control panel. Every time I start it it it almost instantaneously crashes to the desktop. It worked for a few months but it stopped working. 

I have tried updating, reinstalling, and even wiping using driver cleaner in safe mode and reinstalling, but it keeps crashing. It sucks because I cannot change my default graphics controller for various programs and this means I'll be running Acrobat at full blast even though the HD graphics can deal with that. 

A quick google says something about installing the Nvidia drivers in Discrete only mode for the W520. Is that the case here? If not, what should I do and should I call up warranty?

EDIT: The file that crashes is nvgames.dll. We're talking about 30 crashes in the past week. 

Thanks. 

Lenovo Technology Partner
crisdean

Re: T520 Optimus headache.

Hi,

Start/Run: sfc /scannow. If that repair fails can you use a system restore? 

Any other programs etc. installed that might be causing this issue? Can you tell us about the time frame aroud when the problem first appeared. It might as well be related to another install that could've corrupted the driver.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

If you uninstalled the tool/application and when specifically to remove and delete all instances of the driver. Then after a shutdown and reboot install will put a clean drive file along with other files.

I would search for the driver first to see where they are and then can verify they were removed. If there is a second driver in a temperary install directory. You make get away with a quick fix by copying and overwriting the driver the the system/system32 directory for example or wherever it running from.

I hope this works out.

On another note I've see no imforation on that Optimus panel and personally even though I found it on my own. I was not able to edit/alter its behaveour. I my testing the 4200M in Optimus mode is NOT faster than run HD 3000 (Intel graphics in BIOS). Its either heavy under clocked from spec or a dog chipset. There are 3 more above it in the samve NVS family which are increasingly better but of course not selected.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi kingofthering

Maybe you could try

1. Use System Update (Control Panel, Lenovo - Update and drivers) to get the newer version of OEM Intel / NVIDIA Optimus driver.

2. If not, you could try the official Intel / NVIDIA driver to see if it's driver-related issue?

Official NVIDIA
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-296.35-whql-driver.html

Official Intel

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3231&DwnldID=20842&ProductFamily=Graph...

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dol​by-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/6...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Slate-Tablets/​IdeaPad-Tablet-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/td-p/7150...

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

kingofthering wrote:

Hi all, 

I've been using a T520 (i5-2520, 4GB RAM) with the Optimus-equipped NVS card for a few months now. For some strange reason I cannot run Nvidia's control panel. Every time I start it it it almost instantaneously crashes to the desktop. It worked for a few months but it stopped working. 

I have tried updating, reinstalling, and even wiping using driver cleaner in safe mode and reinstalling, but it keeps crashing. It sucks because I cannot change my default graphics controller for various programs and this means I'll be running Acrobat at full blast even though the HD graphics can deal with that. 

A quick google says something about installing the Nvidia drivers in Discrete only mode for the W520. Is that the case here? If not, what should I do and should I call up warranty?

EDIT: The file that crashes is nvgames.dll. We're talking about 30 crashes in the past week. 

Thanks. 

Frankly, it's going to be hard to determine the state the machine is in now that the "driver cleaner" has been run.  If you have a spare HDD, I would install the factory DVD image you made when you received the machine to determine if it's a hardware or software issue.

Sounds like a new installation of the OS and apps are going to be needed.

Serial Port
kingofthering

I ran the laptop under nVidia only and it's giving me a code 43 error under device manager and can't/won't run aero or have the minimum requirements for the Intel car either. 

Should I send it back for warranty repairs? There's a drop-in not far away. 

Guru
ColonelONeill

[ Edited ]

Try toggling the Optimus setting to Intel in the BIOS then. It's possible the discrete GPU is defective, but not too likely.

Also, try an Ubuntu live CD while on discrete only.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

kingofthering wrote:

I ran the laptop under nVidia only and it's giving me a code 43 error under device manager and can't/won't run aero or have the minimum requirements for the Intel car either. 

Should I send it back for warranty repairs? There's a drop-in not far away. 

Do you have a spare HDD or SSD?  If so, I would install the factory image again, or clean install Windows then apply the core drivers.  If the problem reproduces on the second installation, it's a solid indication there is a hardware issue.