Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
icedgoal

T520: Power adapter voltage is lower than recommended

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody,

I bought a Thinkpad T520 last august and totally perfect, but I have been receiving extrange messages when booting it. It sometimes says 'The power adapter voltage is lower than recommended' or something similar. I have been using normally but today I read that the Thinkpad AIO have power adapters problems, so I wondered if I may have the same. I'm sure mine has something wrong, because it has lately been slowly. I have ArchLinux on it so it's really light, but even with it, opening a terminal takes 2 seconds.

I don't know what to do. It seems I have the same problem as the AIO or something related. I'm not planning to contact through phone because I'm not a native english speaker and the last time I called I didn't get a lot of things they told me...

I hope anyone can guide me in what to do. I'm happy with the Thinkpad overall, but I would like to fix this.

Regards to everyone,

Adrian

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: Power adapter voltage is lower than recommended

Hello adrian,

please tell us your operating system and modell number.

Which power supply do you use? Can you post the part number?

Does this message occur only in Linux.

Best

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
icedgoal

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for answering,

I installed Linux two weeks after the purchase, so I didn't get any of those messages with Windows. The message seems to come from the BIOS. Just after booting up and getting the Lenovo screen (and I think even before getting to the GRUB bootloader), I get this message. I would say I get it once a week or two more or less. If it appears once more, I will make a photo and specify more details.

I want to highlight something which may be the cause (but I'm not sure). I'm from Spain and, as you probably know, in Europe we use a different voltage (220V). This christmas I went there with the computer, so this might be the cause.

So, here we go with the data you are asking for:

Operating System: ArchBang (ArchLinux based)

Product and serial number: 4239-CTO, xxxxxxxx 11/08

The adapter is a 65W 20V and supports up to 240V (so this would discard the spanish voltage theory, maybe).

It's a ThinkPad T520.

My part number is: 06P4069

The order number is: 2HM64N

Thank you very much for your interest in trying to solve my problem,

I highly appreciate it,

Regards,

Adrian

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Do you have a quad core i7 version of the T520?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
icedgoal

No, as far as I know. It's an i5. I could make a photo of the exact message my computer says when getting this voltage problem. If you need it, I can perfectly post it here.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

This is rather odd, does your machine have the nvidia gpu?

Also, are you running the laptop with the battery in? Have you attempted to update the BIOS firmware?

If all else fails give warranty department a call and see whether a new adapter will fix it. If all thing fails then maybe get the laptop checked up under warranty.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
icedgoal

[ Edited ]

I don't have any Nvidia. I have the default Intel HD Graphics 3000. I'm running the laptop with battery and haven't attempted to update the BIOS. I don't think that would make a big change, though.

It doesn't appear daily. Just sometimes. And I have found out it appears mostly when I first open the laptop with the battery without having it connected to the power and then, just when the Thinkpad logo appears, connecting it (I disconnect the computer when I don't use it, so sometimes I forget to connect it when opening and I do it after two or three seconds).

Yes, it is weird. I don't think it affects the computer's performance, but I have noticed lately that my computer freezes and the response time for clicking somewhere and opening a window or terminal is bigger than three months ago. I use ArchLinux, which is really light (it's a 120 megabyte distro made especially so you can customize it).

I have no idea why this happens. Maybe there is a relation. I will try to make a call, but I'm not an english native speaker and I will probably not understand anything (they speak so fast).

Thank you again,

Regards,

Adrian