Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Chet_Wiese

T520 - iPad plugged in & sync-ing but not charging??? What is the deal here on a new computer?

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: T520 - iPad plugged in & sync-ing but not charging??? What is the deal here on a new computer?

[ Edited ]

IPad issue you most likely have to install the drivers. Usually in Itunes, have you the latest Itunes installed it should detect and then charge etc.

PS No deal just user error. Have you checked the requirement. Many Tablets require a higher output USB charge as supplied with the unit. They are typically 1A output rather than the .5A of a typical USB port.

Don't blame the T520 for that as its not the norm.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: T520 - iPad plugged in & sync-ing but not charging??? What is the deal here on a new compute

[ Edited ]

The port won't supply enough power to an iPad, which draws greater than the USB specifications. That said, it is indeed charging, but only trickle charging, which is very slow.

There is, however, a patch from Gigabyte that increases the wattage of the port, but I can't seem to find the file at the moment.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: T520 - iPad plugged in & sync-ing but not charging??? What is the deal here on a new compute

I have a TouchPad, no different. I would not push the spec of the motherboard port beyond 500ma. You may burn something out and guess who might have to pay. Use you supplied adapter and rest easy.

No brainer
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: T520 - iPad plugged in & sync-ing but not charging??? What is the deal here on a new computer?

[ Edited ]

Are you using the cable that came with your iPad or an older cable?

I've seen similar behavior with a couple of iPods.  Old pod  + old cable  = charge and sync.  New pod + old cable = sync only.  New pod + new cable = charge and sync.  Strange but true.

(I take it pod and pad cables are similar?  I don't have an iPad to check...)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

WWAN
mixz1

zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Are you using the cable that came with your iPad or an older cable?

I've seen similar behavior with a couple of iPods.  Old pod  + old cable  = charge and sync.  New pod + old cable = sync only.  New pod + new cable = charge and sync.  Strange but true.

(I take it pod and pad cables are similar?  I don't have an iPad to check...)

Z.

iPad and iPod are two different animals. The iPad cannot be charged off the USB port, period. Yes, there is a trickle charge effect, but the power requirements of the iPad are far greater than an iPod and exceed what a USB port can deliver. Just look at the adapters for the individual devices. The small iPod 5 watt charger vs. the twice the physical size, 10 watt iPad adapter. Cables, however, are interchangeable. 

T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

mixz1 wrote:
iPad and iPod are two different animals. The iPad cannot be charged off the USB port, period. Yes, there is a trickle charge effect, but the power requirements of the iPad are far greater than an iPod and exceed what a USB port can deliver. Just look at the adapters for the individual devices. The small iPod 5 watt charger vs. the twice the physical size, 10 watt iPad adapter. Cables, however, are interchangeable. 

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks.

I took a peek at the user's manual  It says something like "may charge slowly" on a standard USB port.  Not too encouraging...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

it is normal, your iPad is charging but at maybe 1/3 speed of a 10 w an ipad usb charger. It will charge once you left it overnight.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
Chet_Wiese

Thank you to all the respondents - your responses are far more informed & re-assuring than those out of the mouth of the person at the end of the Lenovo tollfree line who really didn't seem to have the experience to be answering my lack of knowledge.