Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
rwestiv

T61 Stolen, bought a T400, advice on upgrades?

My main machine, a T61, has been stolen so I went back to good 'ole Ebay and bought a T400.

The machine has 2GB of memory and that is the first thing I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I want to go to 4GB or live on the edge and buy 8GB.  I am by no means a power user, but I like to have a fast machine that will last for a few years (assuming THIS one doesn't get ripped off as well).  What brand of RAM is recommended?  The Lenovo memory is expensive, but if it's worth the money then so be it.  However if I can save a few bucks without a quality drop off then all the better.

Additionally I am going to go to Windows 7, it has Vista Business (SP1) now.  Is the full OS worth the extra money or will an upgrade be ok?

Any other thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GBA

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,202
Solutions: 1,277

Re: T61 Stolen, bought a T400, advice on upgrades?

i use samsung, hynix, kingston one in my T400 and T500. Any of the well known brand is okay.

you can extract the installation files from the win 7 upgrade disc (google it) and do a clean install, which essentially makes it a full os for a upgrade price.

I think the win 7 installation iso from here can also be activated using the serial no. on the upgrade software (i haven't personally tried to verify this yet).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-...

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
SCSI Port
rwestiv

[ Edited ]

Wow, I didn't know any of that stuff with the OS was possible, crazy...

Regarding the RAM, I have to have a 64 bit OS to use more than 3GB, correct?  

Thanks!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,202
Solutions: 1,277

yes you can use more than 3 gigs with 64 bit OS.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft