Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lkpcampion

Re: THINKPAD T510 FIRST LOOK REVIEW!!!!

Glad that you solved the problem. Are you getting a screw from Lenovo? Or it's just some real common metric screws that you can get anywhere?

In any case, this may serve as an example of a careless resembling process with a mediocre QA system. How can it let this fall through the crack? Though, it's great that this is not some fundamental design issues. And the few moderators/people from Lenovo has been very helpful indeed!

Fanfold Paper
wilse

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Erik,

Thanks for the great write up and the youtube video.   Hopefully, you'll expand your review to look beyond the keyboard as you spend some more time with the system... I think we'd all be interested in your ongoing thoughts.

Mark

Mark, (or anyone else at Lenovo that could comment) thank you for this feedback here.  I think the community is very excited about the T-series refresh.  Something's been bugging me, and maybe you could offer some info. 

You thank Erik for his review and ask him to expand further.  Customers are getting their new T-series machines in hand now for the past few days.  However, it appears that Lenovo has not sent out the new T-series machines to any of the typical professional review sites (like notebookreview, engadget, thinkpadtoday, thinkpads.com).  If you search for "Lenovo T410 review" or "Lenovo T510 review," not a single professional review shows up. 

This is not only frustrating to a consumer who would like to make a purchasing decision, but unexpected and confusing.  The new T-series isn't just a CPU upgrade - there's a lot of changes and it really is a new generation of machine.  How can it possibly that, weeks after launch, there have been no professional reviews yet?  This really just boggles me.  Is it possible that you could provide some illuminating information?

Thanks so much for all you do here and the great Lenovo machines.

Punch Card
skriefal

erik_h wrote:
On paper, this is an impressive machine: Intel i7 620-M quad core processor, NVIDIA 512M graphics card, 4G of RAM, and Windows Ultimate 64 bit.

The i7-620m is not a quad-core processor.  It's dual-core with hyperthreading.

Punch Card
erik_h

I'm continuing to post new reviews.  The latest ones are on the screen and input devices.  More coming shortly.

I'll get a screw tomorrow--i have a local mac dealer who has one.

Fanfold Paper
PaAra

How is the noise level?

Punch Card
erik_h

The noise is excellent, which is to say there is very little noise.  I currently have it set at max performance (I've been running Passmark.)  I have a desktop running in the other room, and I'm typing this on the Thinkpad.  The desktop is louder in here than the T510.

It is audible, but not by much.  I don't know if I have the fan maxed out yet, though.

Passmark scores and Windows scores are now posted in the latest iteration of the review.

Serial Port
cmpforce

Hi

Glad to hear that you've solved the problem.

Someone posted that his T410 has an issue that with I7,the CPU temperature is always over 40c on startup and the fan keeps running without stress.  Does your T510 have tthe same issue?

Regards

T510
Punch Card
erik_h

KEYBOARD:  It's not the screw--I replaced it and still have the same problem.  I have to assume that I either have a slightly warped keyboard, or that I have some minor assembly defect in the plastic shell, which leads the keyboard to not seat properly.

I'll try to get a new keyboard and see if that solves the problem.

NOISE (or lack thereof):

I had to sleep my desktop to see if my laptop was making any noise.

I frankly don't think the fan is running at all at startup, and if it is then it sure is quiet.  In all seriousness, I have to put my ear up the laptop to hear it at all.

I haven't run any particularly high demand programs: no gaming, no importing of lots of photos; no burning videos.  So i haven't stressed the processor enough to even really turn on the fan, I don't think.

I recently owned (and eventually returned) an HP laptop that sounded like a fighter jet as soon as you started doing anything of substance.  This one seems a heck of a lot quieter.

Today i'll be installing some other things, which should allow me to test the laptop noise at higher loads.

Fanfold Paper
zenit

how is the screen on this thing in terms of brightness/colors/black levels/viewing angles/contrast?

thanks!

Punch Card
erik_h

Brightness is not particularly good.  I have not been using it in especially bright areas and it needs to be near the top of its range.  I am often at max brightness.  I wish it was brighter.

Contrast seems fine as does color, though I do not consider myself a good judge of either.