Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
asdfqwer

Re: TRIM firmware for the 128 GB Samsung SSD??

I have just tried this several times on my T410s to no avail.  Looking for suggestions Blue_Frog, by the way, thank you for an excellent and long sought after solution to the firmware issue.

Observation:  

1)  I set SATA to Compatible and boot with my USB to run maindiag in the step 1.  It identifies the drive just fine

2)  When I go to start the machine with drive disconnected, everything starts fine and I get to a dos prompt.  However, at this point, when I attempt to hot plug the drive back in, the system goes through a reboot cycle.

3)  I have repeated this several times.

Questions:

1) Is my procedure incorrect Blue_Frog?

2)  Are you setting another setting in your BIOS to preserve SATA hotswap capabilities?  

3)  Are you keeping it as AHCI to do the flash?

Any input is very welcome

Punch Card
Blue_Frog

That is exactly the steps I took, but I don't get the reboot cycle when plugging the drive in at the c:\ prompt.

Boot from USB to your c:\, slide the drive in, run maindiag.exe

The bios must be in Compatibility, it will not flash it at all in AHCI.

You are doing the right steps, I just don't know why you are getting the reboot cycle.  Does it shut down and reboot itself?  Are you using the internal drive connector? Do not use a bay drive or external connector of any type.

Only other thought is the DOS version, I am using IBM-DOS not MS-DOS on my thumbdrive...  I don't think that would matter, but maybe.  I am using Lenovo's BIOS flash cd image on my thumbdrive, only because I happened to already have used that to flash the bios, I just threw the TRIM stuff on that thumbdrive.

Punch Card
Blue_Frog

Also, did you pull out your bay device (CD-Rom drive or whatever)?

This is also sitting on the SATA bus, so don't have any bay devices plugged in or other USB drives attached which could possibly get assigned a drive letter and confuse it.

Paper Tape
asdfqwer

Yes, I pulled my ultrabay device (Ultrabay battery) to no avail.

Anytime the SSD is re-plugged into the on-board connector, the laptop goes into a soft reboot.

What are the perils of running 2,1,4 process without pulling the device initially?

Punch Card
Blue_Frog

******   Do not try to flash while the drive values are populated in maindiag.exe  *****

I ran a few conbinations of the routine.

You can run the "Manufacture" flash with the drive recognized, but you cannot run the "Initialization" flash.  The "Initialization" flash detected the old firmware and refused to flash.

When you boot the drive with only the Manufactures flash, you get a "locked" icon on the screen prompting for a password and the machine will not boot.  It won't even let you into the bios.  I was able to pull the drive and reflash using the hotplug and  2,1,4 method and it recovered.

If you cannot do a hotplug flash because your machine reboots, then you will basically render your drive unusable until you find a way to flash it.

What's DOS?
jmacourek

blue frog: i try your manual to flash drive and success :-) In first try i did not restart computer, so i end with lock screen and prompt for password. Then i run complete flash again with reboot machine after each step. Now i have firmware VBM19C1Q --> trim enabled drive. Backup and restore was made by Lenovo rescue and recovery...

Sorry for my poor englis...

Serial Port
Patryk

Blue Frog and Jmacourek - any SSD tests after successful flash? Any noticeable differences? Can you share the results before/after?

Congrats on TRIM enabled SSD BTW!! and Kudos to Blue Frog!

Paper Tape
grimper

Has anyone seen Lenovo firmware VBM8LL1Q? 256gb ssds are being sold at ebay (seller: quad_core) that are supposed to have this firmware version which is supposed to support trim:

SAMSUNG 1.8" 256GB uSATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
Model: 1.8" 256GB MLC SSD
P/N: MMDPE56G8DXP-0VBL7
F/M: VBM8LL1Q (Windows 7 TRIM enabled)
Lenovo PN: 45N7958
Lenovo FRU: 45N7959

New OEM drive - carefully removed from a new IBM laptop.

On the supplied picture the manufacturing date states 11May2010

If this information is true then Lenovo already has a Trim enabled firmware available but does not release it as an update. Furthermore for people buying new laptops it seems to be pure luck if they get the TRIM or non-TRIM version. What do you think about this?

It is nice that a BLUE_FROG found a work around for flashing the drives but I mainly buy Lenovo hardware because of the warranty and using an unsupported flashing mechanism would probably void it. Therefore I think we should still push Lenovo to release this apparently existing TRIM enabled firmware to the customers who paid big money to get cutting edge performance hardware ...

Punch Card
Larswa

Trying to sum up here .... what is the exact procedure we need to do to flash this thing?  

SCSI Port
tuxor