Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
unit88888888
Accepted Solution

Temperature Reading for Thinkpad T510 Usage

Hi All,

I got a question regarding the standard / acceptable temperature operating range for the thinkpad t510 laptops. So my setup currently is my t510 is connected to an external monitor, external speakers, external keyboard and mouse. So it is essentially a desktop except using the innerds of the laptop as the "heart" of the system. My power manager has set the cpu to be adaptive. The temperature readings I am getting for the CPU and the Motherboard from downloading the program called Speccy from Piriform are at an average of 60 and 61 degrees C. I am wondering if that is within normal operating temperature for the laptop and if it is acceptable. Or is this temperature not ok and the reason why it is so high is that I am using the externals. Also, I am not even using heavy load work for the laptop besides for web browsing and listening to music and working on documents / spread sheet so basically office work.

And lastly, would the temperature problem be solved if in the future I would to get a w530 laptop since those laptops are more "powerful"?? Or is that wrong and the temperature is normal.

Thanks in advance for answers

Guru
hausman

Re: Temperature Reading for Thinkpad T510 Usage

unit88888888 wrote:

The temperature readings I am getting for the CPU and the Motherboard from downloading the program called Speccy from Piriform are at an average of 60 and 61 degrees C. I am wondering if that is within normal operating temperature for the laptop and if it is acceptable.

Yes ~60C is quite normal. I'd get concerned if the temperature readings consistently exceeded 80C and/or if the fan was on constantly. Otherwise you'll see the temperature fluctuate as CPU and graphics activity vary.

unit88888888

Ok, thanks for the response. Though I must say that it is quite hot to the touch. I am amazed that the cpu gets this hot for just regular office usage. Is it because of the confined space or is it because the cpu is i7??

Guru
hausman

unit88888888 wrote:

Is it because of the confined space or is it because the cpu is i7??

Either or both, It also depends on what you're doing with the T510. If the CPU is running hard that will definitely raise the temperature compared to idle/light load. 

Make sure the fan air exhaust (and intake if the T510 has one) grilles aren't obstructed. Leave a few inches to let air circulate.

Also consider:

1. Place plastic or wood spacers below the unit to raise it an inch or so above the desktop.

2. Use a USB-powered notebook fan base/pad to circulate air beneath the unit.

Neither will make a huge improvement but they'll both help.