Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
mekirk2

ThinkPad 410 service complaint

I have a thinkpad 410i that we purchased for my wife for Christmas last year.  This is the fourth thinkpad model I have had experience using (I have had a T40, T60 and currently have a T420 through work) and have always found the equipment to be top notch.  Since purchasing the laptop, we have had issues with battery.  After a troubleshooting session here on the forums (which was very helpful, thank you to those that assisted) over a period of a month (see http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/New-Power-manager/td-p/193951/page/2 for dates from 4/12 through 5/24), I had to contact tech support and send the unit in.  The initial troubleshooting resulted in the laptop being sent in for repair and the hard drive being wiped (it was thought to be the software).  Eventually, they replaced the battery and the issue was resolved.  

I now have a bad spot on the screen (dark pen dot right in the middle).  My wife said it has been there for some time, but I just recently noticed it.  I called a couple of weeks ago to find out if it was still under warranty and was told that it had either expired that day or the day before, but that a case would be opened because it was within hours of the warranty expiring.  The rep and I had a lengthy discussion about the fact that it had JUST expired. This was early during the week of the 12th through the 16th (Monday or Tuesday).  The rep created case number 9022CRC and stated that I would get a call back the FOLLOWING day to set up the service.  I never received that call back and, being my wifes laptop, it really didn't occur to me that they didn't call back until today when I went to use it again.

I called today to check on why I did not receive a call back.  I was told that they could not see any information on why the call back was not made and that the case had been closed.  The rep stated that they would have to create a new case (#A02GYZY).  I spoke with Marshay.  When I mentioned that the old case was created close to the end of the warranty, and that I was now out of warranty, Marshay stated that she couldn't do anything for me and that she could connect me to someone who could upgrade my warranty.  I explained that I did not need my warranty upgraded, that I needed service on the old case that was closed without follow up, she stated that case number 9022CRC was created on  Friday, Dec 16th and that I was out of warranty when it was created.  I explained that there was no way that it could have been Friday because I was told I would receive a call back the next day (I kept phone with me at work all day so I wouldn't miss the call), so it could not have been Friday that the case was opened.  She then stated that all she could do was connect me to someone who could sell me a warranty upgrade.  I asked to speak with a supervisor.  She responded by telling me that she could not connect me to a supervisor because I was no longer under warranty.  I then asked for the previous case numbers for the battery issues, so that I could reference the service that had been done on the laptop since I purchased it.  Marshay then stated that, since I was not under warranty, she could not provide me with the past case numbers, and hung up on me.

I called back to try to speak with someone at customer service about the issue.  After a lengthy discussion, I was told by the person I spoke with (I didn't catch her name at first) that the case (#9022CRC) was created on the 13th (not the 16th) and that the warranty expired on the 12th.  She stated again that, since I was not under warranty, that I could not speak with a supervisor or manager about the issue.  I then asked for her name again, so I could note it.  She then stated that she was disconnecting the call because I was not under warranty and hung up.

I am now seriously rethinking my loyalty to the Thinkpad product line.  The questions I would like answered by a supervisor are:

1. Why, if the unit was not under warranty, was case number 9022CRC created for me to receive a call back to set up service?

2. Why did I not receive a follow up call on case 9022CRC?

3. Why was case 9022CRC closed without follow up and no notes entered regarding it being closed (according to the people I have discussed it with)?

4. Why did Marshay lie about the case being created on the 16th, when the follow up call to support said it was created on the 13th?

5. What was the date and time the case was really created (since I have received multiple answers and no explanation why there were multiple answers)?

6. Why is it Lenovo policy to not connect an unsatisfied customer to a supervisor or a manager to discuss the issue?

What it looks like, from where I stand, is that Lenovo has a warranty that was right at the point of expiring and didn't want to service the unit.

Michael Kirk

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: ThinkPad 410 service complaint

hey mekirk2,

apologies on what had happen, could you pm to me the following :

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

Serial Number (S/N):
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Location of unit : Home / Repair Center (delete where appropriate)

Description of issue :

Troubleshooting Taken : (if any)

What You would like us to do :

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.