Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
patidee

ThinkPad T400 - small issues, need assist

hello ... i am not at all familiar with this laptop (i have a different brand) ... my friend owns the Lenovo T400 ThinkPad ... i tried to download (from a flash drive) two Windows Movie Maker Slide-Movies i made for her sister; but was unable to *open a new folder* so that i could then give her a desktop shortcut; nor could i 'drag' them to an existing file, it gave me the *circle with the slash* symbol [why, i do not know] ... also, her Desktop Icons are the size of a *pea* and i could not locate the Instruction to "Increase their size" ... i realize these two issues are very basic, and i'm almost embarrassed to ask because i thought all computers had pretty much the same instructions on how to do stuff and it would be fairly simple to locate, however, i need some step-by-step instructions that I can relay to her ... we do not live close by ... thanks for any help you can provide, patidee 

Broadband 3G
JDay

Re: ThinkPad T400 - small issues, need assist

Right click the desktop, View, select a size. As for your other question, can you restate it clearer?

What's DOS?
patidee

thank you JDay for replying ... i thought i did right-click the desktop, but perhaps i didn't ... that's how it works on my PC, but, whatever, i will tell her to do that.  okay, so i inserted the Flash Drive into her ThinkPad and we *watched the 3 movies* ... what i wanted to do was FILE them on her ThinkPad so that she did not always have to view the movies via the Flash Drive, however, i did not see anywhere where i could OPEN a *new folder* ... on my PC when i go into my files, there is a kinda tool bar and one of the options is NEW FOLDER, so all i need to do is click on those words, or click on the word "pictures' and a window w/open and to add a New Folder is one of the options; but when i went into her files, i did NOT see those options, i clicked on a few things, but i couldNOT locate that option ... my intention was to open a folder and file copies of the 3 movies in it, and then do the *ShortCut* .. i even attempted to drag one of the movies to an existing folder and that's when i got the symbol which prevented me ... so, anyway, then i sent a Shortcut to the Desktop, thinking that all she would have to do was to Click on that shortcut Icon, however, [later] when she did, it would not open because it was a Shortcut from NOwhere ... her son got her the ThinkPad, she really does not know much about it's operation, and apparently she does not see him that often either ... so you see, we are like the blind leading the blind ... so any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated - pati

802.11n
TheDude

So, if you have Windows Explorer open, and select the hard drive, you can do file\new and select folder. Then rename it. Drag the files you want to into it.
T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
What's DOS?
patidee

(my computer has been in the shop for 2days ... just got it back) >>> thank you JDay for replying ... i thought i did right-click the desktop, but perhaps i didn't ... that's how it works on my PC, but, whatever, i will tell her to do that.  okay, so i inserted the Flash Drive into her ThinkPad and we *watched the 3 movies* ... what i wanted to do was FILE them on her ThinkPad so that she did not always have to view the movies via the Flash Drive, however, i did not see anywhere where i could OPEN a *new folder* ... on my PC when i go into my files, there is a kinda tool bar and one of the options is NEW FOLDER, so all i need to do is click on those words, or click on the word "pictures' and a window w/open and to add a New Folder is one of the options; but when i went into her files, i did NOT see those options, i clicked on a few things, but i couldNOT locate that option ... my intention was to open a folder and file copies of the 3 movies in it, and then do the *ShortCut* .. i even attempted to drag one of the movies to an existing folder and that's when i got the symbol which prevented me ... so, anyway, then i sent a Shortcut to the Desktop, thinking that all she would have to do was to Click on that shortcut Icon, however, [later] when she did, it would not open because it was a Shortcut from NOwhere ... her son got her the ThinkPad, she really does not know much about it's operation, and apparently she does not see him that often either ... so you see, we are like the blind leading the blind ... so any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated - pati

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

Does she have the administrator priviledge on the account she logs into windows.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft