Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
prgsdw

Thinkpad T420 - 16gb of RAM and mSATA SSD

Hello, 

I'm thinking of selling my T410 as I need more than 8gb of RAM for a project. I am looking at a Thinkpad T420 with the Intel Core i5-2450M processor which Intel says can support up to 16gb of RAM. Lenovo, however, still says that the maximum memory on the T420 is 8gb. 

I'd like to hear from folks who have been able to run 16gb of RAM in their T420. I'm also interested on opinions regarding an mSATA SSD - currently looking at the mydigitalssd model as well as the Intel 310. Looks like for around the same price you can get 128gb with the mydigitalssd vs. 80 for the Intel - but Intel being a brand I've purchased in the past (x25-M). 

Thank you!

Steve

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: Thinkpad T420 - 16gb of RAM and mSATA SSD

I have 16GB of Corsair RAM in the T420 I am typing this on.  Works very nicely.

Instead of going the mSATA route, I bought a 256GB Samsung Series 830 SSD for the primary bay, and I use the Ultrabay hard drive adaptor for a 750GB HDD.

I bought the Samsung for $339 at newegg.com when it was on sale two weeks ago.

Punch Card
prgsdw

[ Edited ]

Great, thanks. I had searched the forum and had some positive hits on folks using 16gb of RAM in their T420's and T420s, but better safe than sorry... Glad to hear the Corsair works specifically as that is the set with the most reviews and feedback currently at Newegg. Was also considering the G.Skill set or if I was just going to be cautious about it and get the Crucial set. :smileyhappy:

The SSD + ultrabay adapter is an option for me as that is the way I'm currently set up in my T410 (Intel X25-M g2 + 750gb 7200 RPM in the ultrabay) and I believe the T410 ultrabay adapter is compatible with the T420, so no new adapter hardware to buy. 

I thought I just saw as well that the Crucual M4 was on sale for $296 for the 256gb from Newegg. So have to reconsider the mSATA route potentially... Having 3 internal drives would be nice though... Big cost difference however...

How do you like the Samsung? Looks like a real nice piece of kit and at 7mm gives flexibility to use in an X Series if needed. Any thoughts vs. the Crucial M4? Along with Intel they seem to be the 3 brands most often discussed as being reliable. Thanks. 

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

prgsdw wrote:

Great, thanks. I had searched the forum and had some positive hits on folks using 16gb of RAM in their T420's and T420s, but better safe than sorry... Glad to hear the Corsair works specifically as that is the set with the most reviews and feedback currently at Newegg. Was also considering the G.Skill set or if I was just going to be cautious about it and get the Crucial set. :smileyhappy:

The SSD + ultrabay adapter is an option for me as that is the way I'm currently set up in my T410 (Intel X25-M g2 + 750gb 7200 RPM in the ultrabay) and I believe the T410 ultrabay adapter is compatible with the T420, so no new adapter hardware to buy. 

I thought I just saw as well that the Crucual M4 was on sale for $296 for the 256gb from Newegg. So have to reconsider the mSATA route potentially... Having 3 internal drives would be nice though... Big cost difference however...

How do you like the Samsung? Looks like a real nice piece of kit and at 7mm gives flexibility to use in an X Series if needed. Any thoughts vs. the Crucial M4? Along with Intel they seem to be the 3 brands most often discussed as being reliable. Thanks. 

The two Corsair 2x8GB sticks cost me $109 at Fry's. They are back up at full price but they seem to drop every other week.  See http://www.frys.com/product/6932057

The ultrabay HDD adaptor for the T410 works in the T420 at SATA III speeds.

The Samsung drive rocks.  Yes, love the 7mm form factor in case I need it for a ThinkPad X2 or something down the road.  It screws into the typical Lenovo hard drive caddy/bracket without issue.  Once in the regular bracket, you can use the full size 9.5mm rubber rails.

802.11n
TheDude

I'd say the Crucial M4, Samsung 830, and Intel 520 are all good drive choices - top-class reliability and very close to top speed (you would never notice the difference between these and the very fastest drives).  Price and availability is what I would pick on - as well as the 7mm option if that is important.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Broadband 3G
JDay

ThorsHammer wrote:

prgsdw wrote:

The Samsung drive rocks.  Yes, love the 7mm form factor in case I need it for a ThinkPad X2 or something down the road.  It screws into the typical Lenovo hard drive caddy/bracket without issue.  Once in the regular bracket, you can use the full size 9.5mm rubber rails.

You must have bought the desktop version of that drive, the laptop version comes with an adaptor that makes it fit into a 9.5mm bay. Just put the 7mm -> 9.5mm adaptor on and put the rubber bumpers on it. You want to leave the stock HDD in the metal cage since that is what locks it into the ultrabay caddy.

Paper Tape
Rossen_Russev

OK, so does this means that no matter the CPU you have on a T410i - you cannot upgrade to 16GB of memory - even with BIOS flash?

Thanks

Broadband 3G
JDay

Rossen_Russev wrote:

OK, so does this means that no matter the CPU you have on a T410i - you cannot upgrade to 16GB of memory - even with BIOS flash?

Thanks

No, it will work with 16GB.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

JDay wrote:

You must have bought the desktop version of that drive.

No, I didn't.  I just didn't use what was in the box.  Didn't need to.

Punch Card
prgsdw

Thanks, T420 and 16gb Corsair on the way... newegg had it on sale today with coupon for $119. Pretty close to your deal from Fry's. 

Now just have to decide on the mSATA vs. SSD route. Currently considering the Intel 310 mSATA (SATA II) and the Intel 520 120gb SATA III drive... 

It bugs me about the fitment of the ultrabay second HDD adapter for the T420 leaving a gap. For a $50+ part it should fit flush.