Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Wildcat_1

Re: T410 trackpad locks up

The same thing happens to me. I can use Touchpoint at the point the trackpad locks up but then have to reboot to get trackpad back, very frustrating. Did you get anywhere with this ?

Token Ring
alee5789

I just received my T410 yesterday and am still figuring out how this touchpad works.  My first day with this laptop was so frustrating - I thought I had a defective touchpad - I almost gave up.

I uninstalled the touchpad driver and installed the older 15.0.18.0 version per instructions on this forum, but the touchpad still didn't respond half of the time.

Then I found the Smart Check Settings.

The trick for me to fix most of my issues with this touchpad is to disable just about all the Smart Check Settings, and keep PalmCheck at close to Minimum.

Many of these settings makes the touchpad feel unresponsive and smaller than it is.  I believe default settings should have all of them turned off.  For example, Starting Zone and Edge tap filtering will cause the touchpad to ignore a lot of my gestures near the edge.  This was interpreted by me, a first time user, as defective.

I still have a couple of remaining issues with the touchpad, i.e. the textured surface wears skin off my fingers, and three-finger flick not working half of the time - is there a trick to this?  But at least now it's more tolerable.

Serial Port
unit88888888

well my main complaint is that the touchpad does work...but i am scared to use the more advanced features such as pinch zooming because whenever i try that it locks up the entire laptop and when i try to select something the keyboard starts to have a mnd of its own with me even pressing buttons

Serial Port
unit88888888

yea same problem here
Paper Tape
rhoro

Re: TouchPad Issues

I generally agree that the new touchpad is problematic.  My experience with my new T420 is that the drivers work well, and essentially the touchpad works as designed. 

However, my beef is with the design.  The pad is so much larger than it was on my old T61, and so my thumb pads are constantly brushing across the pad surface which causes the cursor to jump away from where I was typing -- it is extremely irritating to see that the last half of my sentence is entirely in the wrong place on the screen.  Having the pad flush with the surface is probably part of the problem as well.

My only wish is that Lenovo would put back the pad design they had in the T61.  Being recessed and smaller, I never experienced any problems with that design. 

BTW, I always remove the red nipple from the trackpoint on my laptops because it also causes the cursor to skip away when I'm touch-typing -- any slight mis-hits on the G/H/B keys result in a sideways glance off the nipple, and there goes the pointer...  (I don't disable the trackpointer because I like using the trackpoint's buttons, below the spacebar)

Paper Tape
thirdman

[ Edited ]

OK, I'm struggling with the same inconsistent behaviors of touchpad like others. I've been trying every permutations of the UltraNav options and I think I've finally figured out the change that makes the response 10x more reliable.

TURN OFF THE SMART CHECK FILTERING!

Namely turn off the scrolling region filtering for one-finger scrolling, and the gesture filtering for the two-finger scrolling. After the changes, my one-finger scrolling response became almost 100% reliable. A huge difference.

Granted, the bumpy pad surface makes the scrolling behavior still jaggy compared to other laptops, and I don't like it, but nothing you can do about that.

For a good measure, I've also made the senstivity maximum, and PalmCheck filtering off, but not sure those affects the scrolling responsiveness as much as the above changes.

Basically UltraNav's seemingly neat "Smart Check" feature is at least partially to blame for not responding reliablly to user's touchpad gestures. Maybe its future version will be better.

Also the pinching behavior is still somewhat unreliable, and gets mixed up with the two-finger scrolling gesture sometimes, so I turned it off. Not sure how to fix that, but I almost never use pinching so this doesn't bother me.

Please try and see.

What's DOS?
lenovo410

I have the bad experience issues with Lenovo T410s. I literally hate the TouchPad. It is crazy, drags folders and open files without touch instructions. If you are typing on angle lying down, it is even worse.I use Safari browser and it drags favorite folders out of the browser and I have to be constantly dealng with all of these minor but annoying issues rather than just enjoying PC time.

IF anyone has eany suggestions on how to set up the touchpad to the old slow simple traditional way please share a fix. I have been googling for months and attempted many different ways to decrease sensitivity and changing options but it operates the same way.

Serial Port
unit88888888

I think that the best solution is for the design team to revert back to the old thinkpad touchpad design and discontinue this line of touchpad with the dimpled surface

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Lenovo410:

Well it took me a while but all Synaptic software has setting within it to turn OFF tapping. The irrattic touching and dragging won't be interpreted as a tap/click/select or anything that requires a mouse button. I have always disable that since touchpad came out over a decade ago. I worked in IT and nothing is more unnerving when you inadvertently select, drag and drop a folder in Windows Explorer to a destination that you really did not see. I many case is can be a system or program fold. Killing the system on the next reboot. Its far far too easy to do.

Turn tapping OFF, that helps on any touchpad eliminating disasters. Adjust the sensitivity is next but with the dimples and the fact its not smooth is the problem. Minimize the effect yes. elimate it NO. You need the old style. I am on my old Pavilion now with has an aluminum plate touch pad and its dead smooth easy to work with and had virtical ribbed section on the right of it. Its perfect in design and for use of a touchpad. Ridding you figure up/down the ribs scrolls the page. Simple and effect design that even they don't use anymore. Maybe someone else made it for them but I've not seen it on any machine for some time. Something should never be changed like various default key location on a keyboard. Shift and enter keys should always be exactly where the were. If you type you'll understand why you don't mess with the layout of standard keys.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Fanfold Paper
LikaComet

Hello to All

I've got a T400 with Win7 installed.

Instead of Lenovo's TouchPad driver (15.3.39.1) I found a driver from Synaptics (15.2.20.0). I've found that that the TouchPad works much better. Lenovo's driver was missing all kinds of functionality. It's still not perfect, I'm always trying to tweak it, but the TouchPad is all I use now.