Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
joshua144

Trouble deciding between a T520 or an E520

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone! I've lurked around the forums for a few weeks, but am finally posting now that I need some advice. Hopefully eventually I can give back some help too.

I want to get a new laptop and have narrowed my choices down to the E520, which I can get for around 700, or the T520, which I can configure to similar specs and get for around 900 (including the 9-cell, but not the slice),

My main criteria are battery life and processing power

To get the T520 around 900, I would chose the lower i5 option, which is close enough to the E520's i5 that there would be little to no speed difference.

However, I am unsure about the battery comparison. I believe the E520 can last around 9-10 with the extended battery (51J0500) but what is the maximum I could get the T520 to last? Does the slice cell go below the body of the laptop allowing it to be used with a 9-cell battery at the same time, or does it take the place of it? What configuration would give me the most time and what would that time be?

Another question: the E520 has an MSATA slot that would allow me to use an SSD with it, but does the T520 have one of these slots?

Finally, user experience. Does anyone have personal recommendations to give? Would it be worth it to pay $200 for a slightly faster processor, a 1600x900 screen vs 1366x768, and more durability?

[edit]: I forgot that the T520 would also be configured with the discrete NVIDIA card, whereas the E520 would have integrated graphics. However, I don't do gaming on my laptop or run graphic intensive programs, so I don't think this would make a difference to me.

Punch Card
joshua144

Re: Trouble deciding between a T520 or an E520

I also forgot about the new line of Ivy-bridge equipped T's. Any thoughts on those? Would it be worth waiting for the T530 release and getting a slightly faster and energy efficient laptop? Does anyone know if the 9-cell and slice are going to be offered on the same launch date, or do the same accessories for the T520 work for the new T530?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
vladimirg

I had the same dilemma when I was choosing my new laptop. I wanted a ThinkPad and I was looking through all the models and decided to buy a T520. The T series are the actual successors to the ThinkPad brand that IBM introduced. They are slightly more expensive due to the construction and the security features integrated in the computer. One of the concerns I had was the keyboard. In my opinion the classic ThinkPad keyboard which is featured on the T series is the best. The Edge have a different one which will be also introduced in the T430/T530 models. So The T420/T430 are the last of this era. Not sure if I can help you with the battery. I got mine with the standard 6 cell and don't have experience with others. As for the GPU - I got mine with the NVIDIA NVS 4200M. It actually is pretty average and some may even compare it to the integrated one on the Sandy Bridge. You'll not be able to do serious gaming, although I managed to run Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 on medium to low settings.

Hope that helps

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
T520 / i5-2450M / 8GB RAM / NVIDIA NVS 4200M / 1600x900 HD+ / Hitachi 500GB @ 7200 RPM / Intel N 6205 WiFi / Win 7 Pro
Punch Card
joshua144

I have tried both the E530's chiclet style keyboard, as well as the real thinkpad style keyboard on a much older model and liked both equal (most people here are probably going to hate me now).

Video gaming is really not at all important to me; I have a pimped out custom built desktop rig I use if I want to play any games.

I found one website (http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-thinkpad-t530-available-starting-june-2012-05) with some details on the upcoming T530. It sounds like it should be coming out very soon, but I am a little disappointed at the price tag, which seems rather high considering the only real difference is in the keyboard and the new Ivy-bridge vs. Sandy. I might just opt to get the T520 for a few hundred less with all the bells and whistles. I wish there weren't so many choices.
Punch Card
joshua144

Update: I've done some thinking, and if I am deciding between the E520 and T520, I think I should go for the T520. For the amount of money I am spending, I really want to get something more future-proof, that won't break down fast, so a T520, with the better build, processor, and discrete graphics would probably be worth the extra dough. Plus the fact that it can take a slice and a 9-cell at the same time to get around 20 hours on a single charge is awesome.

HOWEVER, I have a question for all of you, particularly those of you that have your pulse on insides of the Lenovo company. With the new Ivy-bridge line supposed to be coming out soon (sometime this week, correct?), I am considering waiting to see the price tag. However, on another thread, someone has already hinted at a starting price for the T530 to be around $1,300. My concern is that Lenovo will discontinue the T520 and stop selling it when it releases the T530, and then I don't even have the option to purchase the cheaper T520. Does anyone know if this is a possibility? If so, it wouldn't be worth it for me to wait on the T530 and I should just purchase the T520 now.

Also, does anyone know if the T520 accessories will work with the newer T530 (such as the 9-cell and the slice)?

SCSI Port
nkull

Based on the fact that the T_30 is already available on the Australian site, it will be available tomorrow.   Looks like on the AU side they still are selling the T_20 and T_30 series systems (probably for a short time). 

I'm going to be getting a X220 just to get the last system made with a good keyboard (7 rows!!!) ... I currently have and use a T510 and T61 ... Going to miss the old ThinkPad!

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
Punch Card
joshua144

Yeah, a lot of people here seem to share your sentiment that Thinkpad is changing in a bad way.

I took a look at the AU site and it does indeed show the T530, but at rather steep price. However, it seems unclear whether or not it will be the same price here in the states, just converted to USD, or if they markup every Lenovo product for the aussies. The reason I wonder this is that the USD and AUD are extremely close in value, yet the AU site has markups that are wayyy beyond that on the US site. Take a look below.

If these prices are carried over to the US, meaning Lenovo is planning on raising the price of the T520 after they release the T530, and the T530 will be priced quite high, then I might want to buy the T520 today, before the launch. Hopefully this is not the case though, and for some reason they just charge Australians more (lol).

Punch Card
joshua144

**bleep**. Well, I just saw the new page for the T530 and it really doesn't look like it is worth the extra cash. In fact, they dropped a lot of features and the new keyboard is probably a minus for most. After seeing that, I just now decided I would go ahead and get the T520, but of course, they just (in the past hour or so) removed the weekend sale, so it is back up at 999 for the discrete graphics vs the sale price of 849. If only I had decided a few hours earlier...

I guess I'll wait a bit and see if they lower the price at all, as they seem to have sales rather frequently. Hopefully they won't remove the T520 model entirely though, or else I'm really screwed.