Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
London_exile
Accepted Solution

Uable to restore from service pration OR R&R disk.

Hi there,

Have been supporting a user group that uses a wide range of Thinkpads from T43's to T500's. Have been having a few problems with a T500.

User presented the laptop whihc had been infected with some spy\mal\crap ware of unkknown origin. Resulting in being unable to access taskmanager or regedit. Accordingly and to save time I deceided to use the R&R function to recover the laptop.

Was unable to use the R&R function in the service partition. And eaqually was not able to recover the machine using the supplied R&R disks from Lenovo. We use Windows XP pro SP3.

With each process the following error message was displayed;

File AUDITPE.ISO could not be loaded. The error code is  4149.

I've never seen such an error message before and have no idea how to resolve though I'm thinking along the lies of an issue or corruption in the mbr. Thing is I wanted to to try and f\disk the drive and then try to re-create the service partition from the R&R disks, but have found now way of doing so.

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has encoutnered this issues beofre or from anyone who can point me in the right direction to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

Maliha

Re: Uable to restore from service pration OR R&R disk.

Download Gparted, format the drive and subsequently use RnR discs.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Ctrl-Alt-Del
London_exile

Hi Maliha,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Presumebly Gparted will delete the original service partition and then allow me to re-create it again. Is there anyway I can use the R&R disks to just restore the laptop without re-creating the service partition?

Rob.

Maliha

Is there anyway I can use the R&R disks to just restore the laptop without re-creating the service partition?

Rob.

Hi Rob,

The discs have to recreate service partition in order to restore the system to factory preload, sorry there is no other approach. On the other hand, service partition [given that if it's not required by the user] can be deleted after the restoration process once the system becomes fully stable.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

In a case like this I would use Secure Data Disposal to clear the MBR of any possible bug that shouldn't be there. Using it at it's lowest level will suffice and takes all of about 10 seconds, it takes longer to download and then burn the iso to cd.

What Maliha says about the service partition is correct. Don't forget, recovering from that partition is quicker than from recovery disks.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
London_exile

Hi AndyP, Maliha,

Thank you for the input. I have tried gparted (great utility BTW, will keep hold of that one for the future!!) and deleted the service partition and then tried to re-create it with the R&R disks.

However, the same error has occured again. Only this the error code has changed from 4129 to 4126. Is this significant?

AndyP, I'm just about to give the Secure Data Disposal app a go. Will post on here after I have tried it.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Cheers.

Rob.

Maliha

Hi Rob,

I also suspect that maybe the recovery discs are bad burn or the hard drive is damaged.

Post back what you find out.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Ctrl-Alt-Del
London_exile

Hi Maliha,

No joy using the Secure data dispoal tool either. Have tried some variations with gparted but to no avail. In the end I called up the Lenovo support folks and as the laptop was still in warranty was offered a replacement hard disk.

As for the R&R disks, I've used them to recover another T500 and they worked fine. So will assume that the drive itself had been damaged.

Again, many thanks to you and AndyP for taking the time to help me out with this.

Regards.

Rob.