Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
wickyd

Use T500 to make Voice Calls

Question: How do I send and receive fixed line phone calls using my T500?

Hardware: T500 Laptop. Type: 2243-4EG.

My T500 has speakers, it has a microphone and it has a built in modem.

The speakers work as I can listen to music. The microphone works as I have recorded my voice successfully using Windows Sound Recorder. The modem works as I am able to phone my mobile phone, and it rings. However, that is as far as I have gone.

Please note, I am not talking about VOIP. Please do not suggest Skype or any other related service. Skype works fine on my laptop.

I am talking about using my laptop instead of using a normal telephone handset connected to a normal analog telephone line.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

wickyd

IPnaSh
Kudos: 372
Solutions: 127

Re: Use T500 to make Voice Calls

With a 56K modem with voice support and a program who listen the line.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Paper Tape
wickyd

I am surprised that Lenovo would include a modem that does not have voice support.

Thank you for your help.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

wickyd wrote:

I am surprised that Lenovo would include a modem that does not have voice support.

Thank you for your help.

usually people use a normal home phone for that, there is enough people to use this feature to justify the cost of including such feature. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
wickyd

Again, I am suprised that the maker of arguably the most premier business laptop would fail to see the importance of this feature.

Yes, I can use a standard telephone, but imagine the laptop actually being used to it's full converged communication capabilities.

For instance, I could come to the office, or at home, plug in my phone line, connect my bluetooth headset and be able to make calls from directly within whichever application stores my contacts over a landline, or via VOIP and be completely untethered.

I wouldn't have to manage separate telephone entries on multiple devices either.

To take it a step further, I would gladly purchase a device that is able to wirelessly send  an analog telephone signal to and from my laptop. That would be ideal. Then, I wouldn't even need to plug the laptop into the landline.

For now, we have:

ADSL: Untetherred VOIP via wireless Router.

Mouse: Bluetooth.

Headset: Bluetooth.

3G: Untethered VOIP.

Analog landline: ?

Does such a device exist? Or is there an alternative solution?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

Hum, i think you are asking too much for a laptop of this price. FYI, no business laptops offer this sort of features, for one thing, not alot people uses the features that you described. Secondly, many company that can use this sort feature may not want to do it, due to various security issues. Thirdly, to implement this sort of this system on a laptop would cost a lot money, as laptop companies don't produce these sort of technologies, they source it in from contracting companies that specializes in this field.

So for the forseeable future you will be still using your phone system, and in couple of years the 56 k modem port will be dropped all together, like on the Apple Macbook/Macbook Pro. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft