Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
djlukasek
Accepted Solution

Used T500 - new installation + rather audible fan

I have got remarketed Thinkpad T500 , Intel Core Duo 2,4GHz, 4GB RAM, that I intend to exclusively use just for a recording audio work connected to a firewire device (Weiss AF1) - no other purpose in general (I have Macbook pro for all other use). A day before I tried Thinkpad T520i and it did not work well with firewire connection (interrupting now and then).

T500 seems to work very reliably and I like it actually more (trackpad, screen resolution etc.)

I intend to replace the original 160 GB HDD by 120 GB SSD. I hope that although T500 does not have SATA III, the difference (noise and speed) will be tangible.

Could you please advice with the fresh installation on SSD ? 

Is it enough just to install Windows 7 and then to download drivers for this laptop ? Which is the best source for up to date drivers, including the latest BIOS and 1394 drivers ? 

What special Lenovo tweaking softwares are not really necessary to install for a simple run of a system ?  (that would just create unnecessary activities and offer options that I would never really use ? )

After some time of recording test, the fan started running on the left side. Low pitch, but with processor load about 3-4%. Is there any software/bios tweak to let this fan come less often, just when the processor is really working fully - otherwise idle ? 

I also heard some slightly rattling sound with this fan - changing this part may be useful for a smoother run (considering the fact it is not a brand new machine ?)  The fan is just one given part or there would be possibly a selection of some super silent fan ? I love when the things are really quiet

Maybe when skipping some Lenovo utilities, the fan activity could be less ?

Thank you for the advice

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

Re: Used T500 - new installation + rather audible fan

1) There is no special source as such. Once you finish install the OS, just download Thinkvantage System Update, it will reinstall all the necessary drivers for you.

But be careful about the BIOS update, you should do it only when it is necessary.

2) You should download TPfancontrol, which is an aftermarket software that controls the fan speed at various temp range.

3) Maybe your hearing is fairly good, but mine T500 fan is fairly silent when compared to a Macbook Pro of the same generation.

4) The utilities isn't the cause of the fan noise, but most likely the fan needs a good clean and replacement.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
djlukasek

Thank you very much for your advice. I will do it tomorrow. Do you think that replacing HDD with SSD will have a big performance effect even if there is just SATA II (at least it seems so) in T500 ? 

Guru
ExJamJus

Replacing HDD with SSD, you will feel a huge performance improvement ...

I was using SSD on the TP previously but I moved it back to my home PC ... Am planning to get another SSD for the TP.
*Non Lenovo employee*
HDMI
-30-

Do bear in mind that when using an SSD, do not hibernate & do not defrag.

I love my LENOVO.
T 410s, WIN 7, 128 SSD, 64 Ult.

I do not work for LENOVO.
Guru
ExJamJus

Ooooo ... Do not hibernate? Ouch ... I always put mine to hibernate ... is it due to the wear and tear or waste of space during hibernate?

Can share some materials for this? Thanks =)
*Non Lenovo employee*
HDMI
-30-

There you go.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/intel-launches-ssd-330-series-entry-level-drives-at-dirt-cheap-p...

I love my LENOVO.
T 410s, WIN 7, 128 SSD, 64 Ult.

I do not work for LENOVO.
What's DOS?
Alaskaguy

I also prefer SSD, because i spend about 90% of my time downloading, and SSD is faster loading page than HDD. BTW, if you are a long-time Audible user, you can use this best DRM removal to strip DRM from Audible so that you can redistribute your audiobooks as you will.