Support in other languages: 
rcm
What's DOS?
rcm
Accepted Solution

You are limited to use fingerprint only to log into Windows

Good day.

I'm trying to get the Thinkvantage Fingerprint Reader software working on a T500 laptop. The software itself is working correctly, and logging the user involved in when used, however when the user tries to use ctrl-alt-del and use their password to log in, it comes up with a prompt stating "You are limited to use fingerprint only to log into Windows."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, as well as erasing the stored fingerprints and re-adding them. This issue does not seem to occur for me (however I have an admin account on the notebook in question).

The laptop is running windows XP. It is also worth noting that the user in question is one of the main HR/payroll people in our facility, so it is not easy for me to just walk in and test possible solutions on the laptop.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Re: You are limited to use fingerprint only to log into Windows

[ Edited ]

Hi rcm,

If you open the fingerprint software and click on the settings toolbar button there should be a setting under the "Authentication" tab that says "Require fingerprint logon for non-administrator users". If that one is checked only administrators on the local machine can logon using username/password. If checked try to remove this setting and see if that will fix the problem.

-gan

rcm
What's DOS?
rcm

Beautiful. I don't know how I completely looked over that setting.

Works like a charm, thanks!

What's DOS?
rkballa

Hi,

I am facing a similar problem (windows allowing me to login only by fingerprint scan method).

I understand the solution presented above, but when I open the "Fingerprint Reader" application, I do not see a "Settings" link/section, where I can modify the settings. I only see the "Tutorial", "Import/Export" and "About" sections. I don't even see the "Settings" section disabled :-(.

Please let me know if I can do something to be able to access the "Settings" section.

Thanks,

RK

What's DOS?
rkballa

No problems. 

Earlier my account did not have administrative privileges, hence I didn't see the "Settings" option.

I was able to access it with the help of another's account, which had admin rights.

RK