Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
pe4fal3u

does anyone has the t410 with sata III hdd inside?

Hello,

I am considering about replacing standard hdd by ssd drive and I am thinking is it sense to put SATA III drive inside.

Does anyone have this configuration and could talk about performance?

regards

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: does anyone has the t410 with sata III hdd inside?

the T410 doesn't support SATAIII speed, you can use these drive in it, but you won't exceed the SATAII speed.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
pe4fal3u

Yes, I know,

OK, but I would like to know users experience.

Guru
ExJamJus

[ Edited ]

I used a OCZ Agility 3 (Sata III) on the T410 previously then I moved to SSD to a W520 (support Sata III)... Both laptop boots fast and open applications at an amazing speed.... Not sure how to explain my experience though ...

I am not sure how to measure the performance cause I didn't do any benchmarking during that time ... but all I can say is .... SSDs are amazing ... hahaha

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Serial Port
pe4fal3u

hello,

thank you for reply,

You can measure the disk speed by HDTune or HDTach.

Could you do this? Think that this should be informative for other users too.

best regards

Guru
ExJamJus

@pe4fal3u,

I removed the SSD from the T410 and put it to my home PC. Also am currently using a T420 right now. Sorry I can't do the benchmarking test for you.
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Broadband 3G
JDay

You are not going to get more than about 275MB/s read/write speeds from a SATA-II controller. Putting a SATA-III drive on a SATA-II controller will saturate the controller and give you the max possible speed that your SATA-II controller supports. I would not hesitate to buy a SATA-III SSD since if you upgrade to a newer system in the future you can put it into the new machine and get even faster speeds and the drives cost about the same as SATA-II models. Not to mention the newer drives are more reliable.

Guru
ExJamJus

Nicely put JDay....

Indeed the prices of SSD has dropped drastically since I bought the drive back a year ago. So tempted to get another 60GB to do a raid 0 configuration on the PC. Am just worried that it might fail and am back to a 1 60GB SSD config.
*Non Lenovo employee*

Broadband 3G
JDay

ExJamJus wrote:
Nicely put JDay....

Indeed the prices of SSD has dropped drastically since I bought the drive back a year ago. So tempted to get another 60GB to do a raid 0 configuration on the PC. Am just worried that it might fail and am back to a 1 60GB SSD config.

I'd just buy a larger, faster SSD. And a SATA-III PCI-E control card if the PC doesn't have SATA-III. RAID is also picky about drives used, if the new one has a different hardware revision you could run into problems, that is why you should buy the drives at the same time for a RAID setup.