Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
mechmike

plastic sticks up above screen cable

Hi everyone,

I just acquired my brand new t500 a few days ago and now it may become a greatest disappointment. That's not what I expected from Lenovo!

As you all know (or have probably heard) the keyboard on the left side has a significant flex along with the clicking sound while typing. To be honest I was quite prepared to get an aftermarket T61 keyboard and replace the original one if it doesn't meet my expectations. But there is more to it then just that.

I attached the pictures of the problem that I have with my laptop - the plastic sticks up above the place where the screen cable enters the laptop base. Pictures will tell you more then my words.

Another thing that I didn't like is that the plastic on the top left corner (left speaker grill) isn't attached well to the base as well. There is around .5mm gap in there and it clicks when you press on it.

Not quite what I'd expect from the the company "that makes "award-winning PCs". Or should I say USED TO...

As a side note I wanted to mention that in June I advised my friend to get a T500 as well and he has none of the problems I mentioned here (no keyboard flex as well!)

Has anyone had similar issues? Any advice from Lenovo staff?

thanks

Pictures:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5388/t500open.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1307/t500norm.jpg

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: plastic sticks up above screen cable

[ Edited ]

(text redacted by moderator)

Regarding that uneveness, you should call Lenovo support and ask them to fix it. My W500 doesn't do it.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
HDMI
beickus

i tried to take a look at my T500 from the aspect of your photos - although i wouldn't consider it an issue i must say i'd much rather if these 5 buttons wouldn't have this independent plastic around them...

Paper Tape
mechmike

Thanks guys!

Even though it's not something that will impact the performance of a laptop, I wouldn't expect such a poor assembly from the business class laptop. It's not cheap too. Well, you know...

Lenovo t/s was helpful and opened the case for me regarding this issue. I'll see if I can get this unit fixed or replaced.

As for the keyboard - t/s rep confirmed that they can ship the T61 keyboard. So I'd just have to ask for it.

Thanks again for your advice!

cheers

lead_org

no problem. It is quite easy to replace the top casing, most likely they would just replace the parts. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,337
Solutions: 288

Mechmike,

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand what you are calling out in your photos... Maybe you could update them some red arrow call outs? 

The replacement keyboard can be sent as a customer installable part.  To install, you remove the 5 screws in the bottom of the unit and remove the palmrest and keyboard.  When installing the new keyboard, it slides up under the plastic part below the screen - that part of the keyboard bezel.  It could be an assembly error on your unit, and while installing the new keyboard, reseating it correctly will resolve your other concerns.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
mechmike

Mark,

I was trying to show the bulge that's caused by incorrectly(IMO) placed monitor cable. I think it's well visible on pictures.

As for keyboard - yes, I'm ok with installing it myself, it's pretty straightforward. However the other issues I mentioned make me think the rest of the laptop has similar assembly quality.

And indeed, under thorough inspection of the laptop I found a few things that disappointed me (I won't talk about the keyboard anymore)

1. I find that the bulge is quite significant. Two days ago we've got 2 more T500s at work and I compared mine against them and they have a very slight bulge only(!) when laptop is opened at 180 degrees.

2. The speaker grill is not just poorly aligned - it's barely screwed in. The thread of the screw was overturned and screw got jammed. I cannot tighten it more. And when I push against the grill I actually can see how the screw is moving back and forth!

3. This is the funniest thing! The laptop's missing one screw :smileyhappy:

That said, I think it's way too much for the 1.3K laptop.

lead_org

well the person doing the QA/QC probably is going to go without a job, since the person obvously didn't do their job properly. Still you list down the problem that you should ask the depot to resolve. 

Regards,

Jin Li