Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
brucelee65
Accepted Solution

screen wont light up

i have a lenovo t400..the screen wont work..when i plug it in it beeps like 3-4 times then nothing..what could be the problem???

sarbin

Re: screen wont light up

welcome to the community.

sorry you're having troubles.

regarding the beeps... what is the exact pattern, long/short, repeating, etc?

cheers.

Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearchPrivate MessagingEspañolDeutsche
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it as the Solution.
Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Yoga2ProT420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.
Paper Tape
brucelee65

thanks for responding so quickly..beep...beep beep beep...beep beep beep...beep

sarbin

brucelee65 wrote:

thanks for responding so quickly..beep...beep beep beep...beep beep beep...beep

ok.

have a look at: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT035729

1-3-3-1 is listed as a dimm or system board issue. if you have another memory stick, pull out the existing and swap it in, then try booting again. if it boots, then it was likely the original stick. if it doesn't, it sounds like you've got a system board issue. are you still under warranty?

Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearchPrivate MessagingEspañolDeutsche
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it as the Solution.

Paper Tape
brucelee65

i dont have another memory stick and its not under warranty..

sarbin

ok.

i'm not confident this will have any effect whatsoever, but you can try it:

Ensure nothing is plugged into the computer

Remove the battery

Press power button 10 times

Press power button down for 30 seconds

Press power button twice

Attach ac adapter

Press power button once. PC should come up. Perform normal start up. Everything should be fine.

Shut down and reinstall the battery

Paper Tape
brucelee65

all it did was repeat the same type of beeps...i sincerely thank you for your help...question-is it the mother board that is messed up or perhaps some thing else? and will it cost too much to have it repaired vs.buying another of the same?? thanks

sarbin

well... without some known good memory to swap in and test, it could be either the memory or the system board, if the beep code is to be trusted.

if it's just memory, then it's cheap. if it's the system board, i don't really know what they cost, used or new. couple that with labor to tear down and replace and it might well be cheaper to buy a new laptop. if you're electronically handy and can find the right board used, it might make sense to go that route.

anyway, while i can't really offer more info, there are a number of hardware gurus on the forum that will likely see this thread and be able to weigh in more definitively.

sorry...

Paper Tape
brucelee65

hey no apology needed..i appreciate your time and concern in this matter..very much appreciated !!

sarbin

'welcome! any time.

keep an eye on this thread. more help will show up. i'm sure.

cheers!