Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
Kicker774

Re: T410s vertical banding on screen

If you were one of the early ones to see and get the screen replaced then it's not unherd of for the problem to happen again.  We've had a select few repeat issue with the screen but other than that once we replaced the screen with FRU 04W0433 I don't think we've seen a repeat.

What's DOS?
pdit

Re: T410s vertical banding on screen

Had the same problem. Happened within the 2 months of warranty running out. Lenovo was very quick in sending me a box to ship the 410s back, "repairing" the problem and sending the box back to me. Fixed! ... or so i thought. After 3 months, the problem appeared again (2 weeks after my warranty expired). Lenovo's position: "we can't help you, because your warranty expired!" No luck with complaining. No more Lenovo's for me.
What's DOS?
DragonTU84

Re: t410s vertical band in my LCD

@ Mark:

I was wondering what screen you used to replace the defective models in the t410s line? Our is out of warranty, and I would like to know the model/make of the model you use to replace it so we don't end up buying another defective screen that has the same issue.

Thanks!

Token Ring
Kicker774

If Lenovo isn't willing to budge on the warranty for a known defect then you'll need to track down FRU # 04W0433 for your replacements.

Fanfold Paper
vlall

The vertical banding problem seems to be intrinsic in the model.  I have a T400s that I bought in February 2010 and the problem started appearing about a month back (October 2011).  The warranty has expired at this point.  I called Lenovo Atlanta and they said since the computer was out of warranty they will not cover the repair.  This seems strange especially since this is a well documented manufacturing problem. (If my car has a manufacturing defect, the car company fixes it, so why not a computer hardware manufacturer)?  I have been using Thinkpads for 10 years now ... this could be the last one. 

Have any of you been able to get this problem covered after warranty expiration? Please advise. 

Paper Tape
Nexus7

Another out-of-warranty story... when I first called (at night, when the problem appeared), the agent forwarded my request to the complaints department, and suggested I also call during regular business hours and ask to speak to a supervisor (to ask them to make an exception). Well, the guy I spoke to wouldn't transfer me to a supervisor, saying they wouldn't even speak to me since it was out of warranty. He actually said he was trying to be courteous, but his tone was getting worked up.

Anyhow, faced with the prospect of having to do this myself, I found this part for $125.

http://www.uspcparts.com/lenovo-thinkpad-t410s-screen-p-9046.html  

Says "OEM compatible". Will it work? I sent off an email inquiry on the website, too.

Token Ring
Kicker774

Doesnt sound like a bad price. Just check that it is the 04w0433 fru. That is the replacement lenovo sends us.
What's DOS?
greenearthpc

I am having this exact same problem with a machine for a client of mine.

Vertical lines on the screen, and now the PC wont boot.  Complete graphics failure on the motherboard. 

Its just barely out of warranty.  Is lenovo providing any sort of repair for these that are just out of warranty?

Paper Tape
Tsuruman

Double check to see if the external monitor port will work...hopefully the graphic system could detect the external monitor and proceed with the boot display.  If just the banding issue, the same applies, the external monitor can help confirm if your graphics card and display system are working ok.

Some of the issues w/ the vertical banding is related to the LCD cable failing... This is due to the quality design of the cable. The casing placed a support foam directly over the cable and if the cable is poor workmanship, overtime it will begin to fail.

My banding appeared on the Y550 and I could make more vertical banding symptoms by pressing the front lower frame of the LCD (little to the left center).  This was noted by a few on this thread.

After disassembling (since my warrantee has expired), I noted the banding would disappear when the pressure is off the LCD cable. Pressing the cable around the trouble area would generate the banding effect.

In this case there are two options.  Buy a new LCD cable off ebay or other site.. about $15.   Or move the foam support off the cable and place it above and below cable area to create a space above the cable.  Now the LCD cable is protected and nothing touching or putting pressure on the cable.   After assembling... pressing the front frame or other area did not create any banding.

Hope this helps a few...  There should be a Video on how to disaasemble any version of Lenovo... for the Y550 the front frame has delicate snap hooks that could break if care is taken...

Fanfold Paper
sokito

I have had the exact same issue with my thinkpad T410s.

Vertical stripe with weird color would appear exactly as described in the lenovo document and it would temporalily disappear when I press around the bezel area where the LED SUBCARD is located underneath.

I have used it for almost 2 year and half but the symptom appeared not long after I purchased the machine maybe a few month?

I am a graduate student and use it everyday for my thesis work. I haven't done anything about it until now, since I simply couldn't afford to send it to service depot (I had only 1 year depot warranty) and wait for it delivered back and the problem was going away at least temporalily as I was pressing around the bezel.

Until yesterday I didn't even know this is a well documented and widespread problem.

Today, I opened it up and disassembled the lcd panel and found something interesting.

When I looked at where the LED SUBCARD is located, there is thin foil with screw hole that seems to be designed to be connected to the led subcard. Maybe for grounding? I am not so sure but It looks to me that thin foil is definitely  there to be connected to the led subcard with the small fixing screw.

But when I looked at it, it actually wasn't properly connected. It was simply hanging there. I unscrewd the subcard fixing bolt, made sure the thin foil is connected to the subcard and tightened the subcard fixing screw again. By the way connecting this thin foil is not even mentioned in the service manual....

After that I powered the laptop on and played with lcd panel for a whild before I close the bezel trying to see if the problem comes up again. I tried pressing the edge of panel, slightly twisting the panel but the band wouldn't appear. I closed the bezel and I tried again to reproduce the problem, but It seems like the problem is now solved..... It's been 2 hours and the horrific vertical band is not appearing no matter how hard I try it.

I will give it some time and I will update if the problem rise again...