Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
dyroffk
Accepted Solution

t420s Won't boot. Displays "Fan Error" with two beeps

Lenovo Thinkpad t420s 

On power it goes to the ThinkVantage screen then goes black with "Fan Error." and shuts down.

Pressing the ThinkVantage button has no effect.

Everything was working fine a few hours ago, but now it seems the main CPU fan (rear left corner) is no longer running.

Is it hosed or might there be a way to fix this?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

Re: t420s Won't boot. Displays "Fan Error" with two beeps

when fan error is consistently triggered either your fan or motherboard is at fault and would require warranty service.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
Kicker774

Hit the fan with some compressed air and it may just be dirty.

Otherwise it's likely you have a defective fan and will need to get it replaced.

I've had to replace 1 or 2 defective fans in the T420s so it's nothing unherd of to me.

Get in touch with Lenovo and get service scheduled for it.

What's DOS?
rkwchu

I had the same problem, but I was able to solve it by blowing compressed air through the fan (actually I cannot see any dust during the process) and the FAN ERROR message goes away the notebook works again! I am worry whether this is only a temporary fix and might have the problem coming back again soon!

What's DOS?
rkwchu

I had go to the service manual, it states 3 possibility http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1021065898.pdf .

I was successful in using compress air to blow at the fan, my notebook starts again (however I cannot see any dust come out during the process).

Paper Tape
SiriteanuVictor

Hi,

First of all, using compressed air to clean the fan without actually opening the machine and cleaning it properly is not recommended. The reason for this is whatever dust may have gathered on the fan will be blown onto other components and as we all know, dust can create static.

If the machine is still under warranty, the technical support will confirm a fault with the fan as 2 short beeps and a fan error indicates a problem with the fan(gone basically) and this can be found in the manual of the machine (simply google t420s hmm and you`ll find it). The fan is replaced, thermal grease applied and issue resolved for a very long time.

I hope this helped in some way.

What's DOS?
dpasek

Hi,

I have same problem with Fan error,two times seemed to be happening with the fan is not attached, the computer had a high temperature, I just turned off, and system back with fan again I'm afraid that it could lead to overheating and breaks something. Like you said they is job for support warranty. My problem is they I can't find receipt for my Lenovo T420s, so can I contact with support without this ? Of course I have still 811 days warranty, I have box and all instruction. Did I need this to contact with technical support ?

Please help.

What's DOS?
adeelarshad

I faced this error today. I was normally using this at home and then shut it down. After i reached my office and press the power button, i was astonished to look at it that whats gona wrong with it as it was giving "FAN error" and then powered off.. I started blowing air in the FAN 4 -5 times but it didnt work out.. Then i gave it a little jerk and then tried.. Now it started working again as normal...

What's DOS?
Pippy_ls

Okay so I pulled it apart disconnected the fan and then re connected it, the fan works but it's still readin fan error... I have blown it out to the extent of my lungs lol but still reads fan error.. Any idea what this might mean... Like I am happy to buy a new fan or what evs... Any idea on what it may cost me to buy though... Cause I have had this laptop with me for years and I couldn't imagine not fixing it and loosing it.