Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
bl393

t500 monitor color bias

It appears that my monitor has a bias on my laptop that is slightly towards a blue shade that's a cooler temperature.  when hookin up to my monitor and comparing to other monitors...you can clearly see the vairance,

are others experiencing this issue?  is it the mfg of the laptop that sets this and is there a fix so the bias is taken away?  i have the updated drives but seems to me that the laptop colors are not congruent with what should be normal.  i realize all monitors are not the same, but there clearly is a difference that impacts photo editing. 

HDMI
joer80

Re: t500 monitor color bias

Which one did you get?

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
Punch Card
slip

I have the T500 LED and it is also skewed to blue.

Using the ATI Catalyst Control Center, I manually changed the following color settings to the numbers below, which fixed the blue problem on my system.

Brightness
Blue -60
Red -35
Green -25

Gamma
Blue 1.0
Red 1.0
Green 1.0

Contrast
Blue 100
Red 100
Green 95

T500 ~ T9400 2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2 ~ Vista 32bit Home ~ WXGA 15.4 LED ~ ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 ~ 4GB ram ~ Camera ~ 160GB 7200rpm HD ~ Intel Turbo Memory 2GB ~ CD-RW/DVD ~ Intel WiFi 5300
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Hi bl393,

Every laptop screen that I've ever used has been bluish by default. The biggest reason for this is that the screen's backlight, whether fluorescent or "white" led, is bluish. (I've not tried the newer RGB LED backlit screens, perhaps they are not blue by default?) It's possible to calibrate the screen to a different color temperature, but this involves throwing away some of the blue light that the backlight gives you "for free". In other words, you can make your screen color warmer at the expense of making it dimmer. Laptops are typically designed to get maximum runtime from their limited-energy batteries. Because the screen's backlight is a major power draw, it is most efficient to simply leave the screen blue. For many uses the blue tint doesn't much matter, and the extra brightness and runtime are very useful.

Then there are users like you and me who like a warmer screen color, and who'd even like to calibrate their screens. Here are a couple of threads about that:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Monitor-color-calibration/m-p/136782

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T500-WXGA-LCD-Panel-Adjustment-Challenges/m...

Bottom line is that if you are doing serious photo editing you need a good, calibrated screen. Sadly, no current T500 screen fits that bill; the limited viewing angles of the TN screen make calibration impossible. If you need to accurately edit photos on your ThinkPads's screen, your best bet is to switch to a tablet model. Those have far better PVA or AFFS (best) screens. Or, if you mostly edit photos at your desk, I'd recommend getting a good external monitor for that purpose. Though I've not used it myself, I'd recommend looking at a Dell 2209WA, which has received excellent reviews as an inexpensive e-IPS monitor suitable for photo editing. A good source of information about monitors suitable for photo editing is dpreview.com PC Talk forum. And then you still need to calibrate whatever screen you use; the above threads and included links have more information about that.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Paper Tape
bl393

Thank you for all the feedback.  I've changed the colors settings on the T500 (mine is the LED backlit) as listed above and actually pushed the blue to -100 brightness.  for now, it is better than nothing.  this is a big step improvement from what it was before.

Thanks for the overview regarding hardware.  I actually do have the same Dell monitor and typically i do edit using that screen. however, i'll be travelling for 3wks and won't have the monitor with me.  Guess i'll have to wait until i get home before doing some serious editting work.

Again, thanks!  much appreciated. 

Paper Tape
JFR500

Mine is the 2009  R500 1680 x 1050 with the same washed-out bluish color tone, I've used adobe gamma as a reference to bring down the individual R G B gamma values(actual changes were made using the display adapter software(ATI catalyst), not adobe gamma).

My settings for ATI catalyst:

Relatively dimly lit room, no reflections, screen titled to preferred working angle. 

Blue gamma 0.7

Red gamma  0.85

Green gamma 0.8

So for my environment all values were set to high(resulting in the washed-out look), although by far the highest were the blue setting (resulting in the blue tone) .

What's DOS?
svx94

How to use ATI Catalyst Control Center?

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone for the info.  I'd like to try that solution as well, but can't find the ATI Catalyst Control Center.  Do you have to download it somewhere, or it come with your machine?  Thanks!

-----------------------------

Never mind.  I download and install the driver from Lenovo and everything shows up :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
DemonSheep

Re: How to use ATI Catalyst Control Center?

What can I do to fix the blue bias on my T500? I have Intel X4500 integrated graphics not ATI :-(

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rik1301

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new T500 today and am having similar troubles. I didn't notice it in the daytime but now it's night time here and the room is only dimly lit, I can see just how much of a blue tint the white has.

Mine is the WSXGA+ screen (CCFL) rather than the WXGA but it's just as bad on this.

Does anyone have this screen and can recommend some nice colour settings to get the white looking, er, white! ?

I've tried Slip's settings above and that did make a noticeable difference but the blue sort of became more 'icy' in appearance with a distinct florescent tinge to it.

The other who replied with the different gamma settings - that was more of an improvement but all the boxes and the programs on the task bar have a sort of florescent blue edging to them now.

Can anyone help with some settings please?

Thanks.

Punch Card
slip

Find a picture on your computer that you know the correct colors, such as a picture of your car. Then start tweaking the color settings until you find the best ones.
T500 ~ T9400 2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2 ~ Vista 32bit Home ~ WXGA 15.4 LED ~ ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 ~ 4GB ram ~ Camera ~ 160GB 7200rpm HD ~ Intel Turbo Memory 2GB ~ CD-RW/DVD ~ Intel WiFi 5300