Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
lshorb
Accepted Solution

t500 - updated bios, now takes 10 minutes to begin booting

I've updated the BIOS on my t500 Monday.  Followed all directions.  Now when I power on the t500, it takes 10 minutes before it begins to boot.   I see the lights, I hear the fans, but not video for 10 minutes.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Punch Card
hatbrox

Re: t500 - updated bios, now takes 10 minutes to begin booting

I did the same, prior to installing Win 7 but did not see any difference.

I suggest you should contact IBM to see what the issue is.

alternatively, try to boot the computer with any bootable CV/DVD. It shouldn't make a difference but you never know, maybe your windows is causing the problem.

you may also go into the BIOS and set the factory settings.

Finally, have you got a SSD drive? I installed one in my T500 (highly recommended by the way) and I had to update firmware on both the T500 and the hard disk as it would also boot  up after a long waiting time, also certainly not 10 minutes.

Fanfold Paper
lshorb

Well it appears that it was an issue of mismatch between BIOS version and AMT version.  I updated to the current AMT firmware and it now boots as expected.

If indeed there is a known requirement linking  BIOS and AMT firmware versions , it sure would be nice if they were either packaged together or strongly linked in the documentation.

Thanks for suggestions.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Ishorb, welcome to the forum,

thanks for posting your solution, hopefully it will help others.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Token Ring
takedown

Thankyou lshorb, after update the BIOS on my T500 I start to see a lot of startup problems...

Sometimes after the POST (i think), when the screen says me something about Intel ME, the system stop booting at this time, after a minute or more, the system is restarted automatically, and go into a infinity loop.

In other times the system start normally (the BIOS boot) and before complete the VISTA boot, the system is restarted automatically...

Today, after see this problems again, i go to the BIOS config, and I try to disable Intel AMT, but after set this option to disable in BIOS, the system restart again.

After read your post, I update the ME firmware version acording this link: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-71137

Are you talking about this update?

I think the problem disapear, but only I think, because this problem appear sometimes, not all time.

Fanfold Paper
lshorb

Yes takedown, your link points to the version of AMT I installed (4.2.0.1020).  While your symptoms sound different than my experiance, I hope your problem is resolved.

Token Ring
takedown

Hi lshorb, Unfortunately that was not my symptoms and the error persists after the update.
In my notebook I have installed Windows Vista and ArchLinux.
When I turn on my notebook and entry to the BIOS, after a short period of time (approximately 15 or 20 seconds) the computer restarts.
The same happens if I boot windows vista (or ArchLinux) in the boot sequence after a few seconds the computer restarts.

I think this started happening after updating the BIOS (via ThinkVantage update).
I'll try to reinstall the BIOS from the bootable CD.

What's DOS?
nbw2009

I have the same problem. I read that downgrading the BIOS will fix this but when I created an ISO of an earlier BIOS the tool told me I didn't need an update, presumably because the installed one was a new one then the ISO. How do you get it to downgrade?

What's DOS?
nbw2009

Turns out the issue I was seeing was because the BiOS I had on CD was the same version as the one already installed. I thought the CD had the previous version on it but it didn't. Once I tried with a truely older on I was able to downgrade and got things back to working order. What a pain.

Paper Tape
CurlyDE

Just curious if your OS actually booted after waiting the 10 minutes.  I get the ThinkPad screen (typically where you would see "Press ThinkVantage for boot options" (or whatever it says) after about 10 minutes, but the screen disappears quickly and so far nothing (power, battery, ac and bluetooth lights on).

Worked great on the original bios 1.?? (I looked before updating, but did not write it down).  I attempted updating via the ThinkVantage System Update utility.  I have yet to see any Windows related boot screens.  I plan to try the bootable bios disc next.