Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
maxmin

unable to install 64 bit guest OS on T510 due to VT-x unabled in BIOS

[ Edited ]

I've been trying to install 64 bit guest OS (Linux - ubuntu precisely), but unable to do that due to VT-x for the Intel CPU is disabled in the BIOS.  Although the BIOS shows that VT-d is enabled, the install of 64 bit guest OS in either VMware or VirtualBox shows that the "restricted exucution" is set for the VT-x in the BIOS, however, I just can't find any place in the BIOS with the option for the restricted execution for the VT-x.  Does anyone have a solution for this?   I wonder if I need to ask Lenovo to provide a new BIOS that has the option to disable the restricted exucution for the VT-x.

My ThinkPad T510 has the 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: unable to install 64 bit guest OS on T510 due to VT-x unabled in BIOS

Hi maxmin,

I don't know how similar the BIOS configs are, but this wasn't a problem for my T400.

Only thing I can think of - if you have just started trying to do this - it takes a full power cycle after changing VT-xxx settings for them to take proper effect.

Have you completely shut down your machine after enabling VT in BIOS?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Blue Screen Again
maxmin

Thanks .  I did the full power cycle, i.e. unplug power chord and even removed the battery pack from the T510 for a while after setting the VT-d,  actually the VT-d was enabled in the factory settings, but it doesn't affect anything since all my install of the 64bit guest OS don't go through afterwards due to the "restricted execution" of VT-x.  I might try to disable the VT-d first then a full power cycle and then enable it again and another full power cycle to see if it works.  If this effort fails again, I have to ask Lenovo for an official clue.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

maxmin,

I wish I had a machine like yours so I could dig into the BIOS :smileysad:   IIRC, VT-x is a separate setting from VT-d.  VT-x is required for most modern virtual hosts, but VT-d is an additional capability that is not required.  It has to do with letting virtual clients have direct access to devices, if anyone cares.  (And if my memory serves.)

Back on point here, there should be a VT-x setting somewhere in your BIOS.    I just googled up a comment:  "VT-x is a CPU feature, and VT-d is a chipset feature."

In my T400, they are both in the CPU page in BIOS.  VT-x is just called "Intel Virtualization Technology" (that's the one you need for sure0  and VT-d is called VT-d :smileyhappy:  What do you see in your CPU BIOS page?  If there's no VT-x or "Intel..." you may need a different BIOS.

Once you find it, you'll still need to power cycle.  Just power off and on.  No need to go to the house breaker panel and pull the mains :smileyhappy:

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Blue Screen Again
maxmin

I've made it work for 64-bit guest OS on my T510.  Somehow the original factory settings that enabled all CPU options including VT-x in the BIOS didn't allow installing 64-bit guest OS.  As I said in my previous message, I first disabled the VT-x and VT-d in the BIOS and did a full power cycle (shutdown and unplugged power chord and removed battery pack from the T510), then re-enabled the VT-x and VT-d in the BIOS and did another full power cycle, and now the system allows to install 64-bit guest OS - I've installed 64-bit ubuntu successully in the VMware.

My current BIOS version is 1.18 (6MET55WW) which is available for download on Lenovo website.  The CPU on my T510 is Intel Core i7 M620.  In the BIOS, select Config then CPU, there're 4 options as follows:

Core Multi-Processing                                [Enabled]

Intel (R) Hyper-Threading Technology    [Enabled]

Intel (R) Virtualization Technology            [Enabled]

Intel (R) VT-d Feature                                 [Enabled]

The VT-x items enabling 64-bit guest OS in VM are the last 2 listed above.  As I said previously, all these options were originally enabled in the factory default settings but somehow the system didn't allow installing 64-bit guest OS, so I had to disable them first and then re-enabled them.

What's DOS?
dancebean

Thx for the update and hints. I've been bothered by the same problem for a long time, and finally got it work following your disable-enable method.

I think I get the reason why this can work now. The "TXT" feature should be disabled in order to support the 64-bit gust OS. But the TXT setting in Thinkpad Bios is under the "Secuirity" section instead of the "CPU" session, and is enabled by default, which caused the restriction. By disable-enable the VT-x, the TXT was disabled but not enabled accordingly, and the restriction was solved.

----------------------------

My Machine: Thinkpad X201t (CPU: Core i7 L620 2.0G Hz)

Broadband 3G
JDay

maxmin wrote:

I've been trying to install 64 bit guest OS (Linux - ubuntu precisely), but unable to do that due to VT-x for the Intel CPU is disabled in the BIOS.  Although the BIOS shows that VT-d is enabled, the install of 64 bit guest OS in either VMware or VirtualBox shows that the "restricted exucution" is set for the VT-x in the BIOS, however, I just can't find any place in the BIOS with the option for the restricted execution for the VT-x.  Does anyone have a solution for this?   I wonder if I need to ask Lenovo to provide a new BIOS that has the option to disable the restricted exucution for the VT-x.

My ThinkPad T510 has the 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed.

You do not need to disable that. I have all the VT stuff enabled and use VMWare all the time. The most likely problem is your OS is messed up. Also make sure you have admin rights and that VMWare is running with admin privs (disable UAC).

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

JDay wrote:

You do not need to disable that. I have all the VT stuff enabled and use VMWare all the time. The most likely problem is your OS is messed up. Also make sure you have admin rights and that VMWare is running with admin privs (disable UAC).

He already resolved the issue.  It was a BIOS setting.  The OS was not "messed up".

What's DOS?
RodBarnes

[ Edited ]

Thakns for the steps.  I tried them and it still didn't work for me.  I had previously enabled them so I powered up and disabled all four, saved and rebooted, then powered off.  Then powered up and enabled all four, then saved and rebooted, and powered off.  I then powered on again and tried to install the OS but got the same message about finding only an i686 cpu.

UPDATE:  But then I finally noticed I had mistakenly selected only the Ubuntu rather than Ubuntu 64-bit version for the vm type.  DOH!  So, be sure you get the right vm type selected.