Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
denis_s

Are genuine Lenovo parts still available for the T series?

So far, I've been quite lucky with my T60p Thinkpad, as I haven't had to service is since purchasing it in 2006. 

Now I'm replacing the hard drive (with a Hitachi Traverstar) because it's starting to fail some system tests, but I also anticipate having to replace the heatsink fan, as I'm sure after this many years and so much dust (which I blow out periodically) it's bound to fail eventually.

I looked up my Lenovo part number for the heatsink -- it is 41V9932 (Im not sure if the fan is possible to replace without replacing the whole heatsink assembly?).

But where can I buy geniune Lenovo parts for these laptops?  I searched the "shop Lenovo" store on this site, and they do have some things but not those internal components that I need. 

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: Are genuine Lenovo parts still available for the T series?

Welcome to the forum!

Try IBM directly. Expect to pay a pretty penny there.

Also try eBay, plenty of new fans available there.

It is possible to replace just the fan, however, my personal choice is to replace the entire assembly. YMMV.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
denis_s

Hi George,

That's a good advice.  Since this heatsink is a specialized part, I'd much rather get it directly from the source, if possible.  There seem to be a few of these new heatsinks (w/fan) floating around eBay, saying that they are new and geniune IBM/Lenovo...  Should I be leery or is there a good chance they may really be brand new and genuine?

Bit Torrent
TuuS

ebay sellers vary widely when it comes to quality and honesty. You can find some good deals there, but be careful. When it comes to replacing the fan, I'd consider getting just the fan, your heatsink should last the lifetime of the computer and the fan is only held in place using some metal tabs and foil tape, making it easy to swap a new one. I'd hate to imagine what IBM charges for a new assembly, my guess would be well over $50. You can buy the fan alone very cheap. Which ever way you decide to go I'd recommend you get some arctic silver #5 brand thermal paste, it does a much better job the the factory paste at transferring the heat from your chips.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)