Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
onix

Audio crackling when monitor goes off or on from screen saver

[ Edited ]
My audio (playing music in the backgroung) will stutter when the monitor turns off (screen saver) -- it happens on at least two apps, WinAmp and WMP.  I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with 4GB on T61p.  This was a fresh install - not a Lenonvo OEM custom install...

Any ideas, or suggestions for where to find a solution?

Thanks!

Message Edited by onix on 05-31-2008 10:41 AM

Message Edited by onix on 06-07-2008 11:31 AM
Serial Port
onix

Re: Audio crackling when monitor goes off

Bump. Anybody?
Token Ring
Centex

Re: Audio crackling when monitor goes off

onix,

Please define "monitor." Is this a large cathode-ray-tube monitor that's attached somehow to your notebook?

What you're describing sounds like the crackling noise made by old-style television sets when they are turned on or off.

This noise is made by the very high voltage applied to the CRT building up (turn on) or decaying (turn off). May be due to accumulation of dust and "cobwebs" on the CRT and in its vicinity.

Caution-anyone trying to clean up the dust should be sure to first drain off the charge (by shorting to ground with the set turned off) on the outside of the CRT. The charge remains long after the set is turned off.

Centex

Serial Port
onix

Re: Audio crackling when LCD DISPLAY goes off/on

Centex,

Sorry for my lack of clarity.  I meant the built-in 14.1" SXGA+ LCD display itself.  I don't think I'd ever go back to CRT's...

Token Ring
Centex

Re: Audio crackling when LCD DISPLAY goes off/on

onix,

OK, guess we'll look elsewhere.

Haven't used a screensaver in years. The original idea behind screensavers was to prevent burn-in of the CRT phospher. That no longer applies.

Does the screensaver turn off the LCD backlight to save power (extend battery time)??? What is the benefit of using the screensaver?

It sounds like the machine doesn't have enough CPU cycles availables to transition the screensaver and play the music at the same time. You might run the Task Manager and see what the CPU utilization goes to when the screensaver transitions.

I'm grasping at straws, here....

Centex

Serial Port
onix

Re: Audio crackling when monitor goes off or on from screen saver

Thanks for trying Centex.  Maybe it's a resource conflict issue or something like that -- especially on the top-end dual core T61p.  Here is a list of the drivers that come up through the Device Manager:
  • Display adapters: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
    • Driver Date: 12/10/2007, Driver Version: 7.15.11.5685
  • Monitors: Generic PnP Monitor
    • Microsoft, Driver Date: 6/21/2006, Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000
  • Sound, video, and game controllers: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
    • Analog Devices, Driver Date: 10/4/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.2.5510
My OS as mentioned before is: Vista Ultimate x64.
Token Ring
Centex

[ Edited ]
onix,

"will stutter when the monitor turns off (screen saver)"

Is the monitor turning off per a power plan when a certain amount of time has elapsed.....

or

a real screen saver is starting (something like "3D Flower Box" or "3DPipes" ).......

???????

Centex

Moderator Note; added a space to edit smiley

Message Edited by andyP on 06-10-2008 08:12 PM
Serial Port
onix

Yes that - when the screen turns off after a prescribed time, or back on when I move my mouse...
Token Ring
Centex

onix,

Sorry 'bout the Smiley in my last post. It was not intended, and couldn't be edited out.

I tried to duplicate your problem on a T61p similar to yours except that it's running Windows XP SP3.

I got WMP looping a couple of selections, then told Windows to turn of the monitor after 1 minute of idle time.

The monitor would never turn off as long as WMP was playing.  No stuttering.

OK, I tried running a CPU intensive program while WMP was playing. No stuttering.

You can go to the Vista UseNet group at

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/topics?lnk=sg&hl=en

At the top, on the right side, there's an edit control and a button that says "Search this group."

Enter "stutter audio" (without the quotes) in the edit control,  then push the "Search this group" button.

You should get about a dozen hits. You are not alone. Unfortunately, there's several conjectures that this problem is caused by Vista's memory handling, but no fixes.

Bummer......

Centex