Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
jonnybgoode84

BIOS update failure -- ThinkPad won't turn on

Hello,

I was foolishly inveigled into trying to update by BIOS, not understanding in any way the seriousness of such an operation. Well it failed, and now my PC will not boot. When I press the power button I hear the CPU churning and the battery light and the globe with a z light up. I bought my computer on Ebay with now warranty. What now?

Punch Card
Eppie

Re: BIOS update failure -- ThinkPad won't turn on

Hi,

It seems a common issue with updating the bios on each Thinkpads...no matter what type ur machine is.

I was a fool too (;-) and update my bios with a big problem. I wouldnt boot up as it didnt recognize my wlan.

I had no recovery disk as it is a rfeurbished model. So no warranty as well. The only thing i did was bringing back to

the shop and they reinstalled the bios which came with the machine.

So if you are able to update ur Thinkpad (what model?) back again with the original bios it mus work again.

Good luck mate.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

about the only thing you can do is buy another motherboard you won't find many places in the USA to reload the BIOs chip & if you find them its more than the cost of a MB. its best to flash the BIOs in MS DOS or with the bootable disc version

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

[ Edited ]

there are repair shop that can recover bricked machines... there is a company in the states called AQSTECH and many other like that. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
venkatlikhitb

I have a 'ThinkPad R400' laptop. I had installed Windows 7(32-bit) version and updated the BIOS. It took quite a long time for installation and i cancelled it.A dialogue box containing the message saying the system cannot boot if cancelled. I clicked OK on the dialogue box by mistake. i then installed some essential software which required rebooting, then i resatrted the system. From then the screen remained blank, with a few beeps and onle the 'Z' symbol lit up.
After an inquiry, i learnt that the BIOS update has failed.
I need some desperately, my exams are coming up....can't study without my laptop. I feel very bad for it...
If anyone knows a solution for this...do help me out!!!!

Bit Torrent
TuuS

venkatlikhitb wrote:

I have a 'ThinkPad R400' laptop. I had installed Windows 7(32-bit) version and updated the BIOS. It took quite a long time for installation and i cancelled it.A dialogue box containing the message saying the system cannot boot if cancelled. I clicked OK on the dialogue box by mistake. i then installed some essential software which required rebooting, then i resatrted the system. From then the screen remained blank, with a few beeps and onle the 'Z' symbol lit up.
I need some desperately, my exams are coming up....can't study without my laptop. I feel very bad for it...

The only way to fix a unit with a completely failed bios is to manually reprogram the bios chip. This requires special equipment as well as knowing exactly what to manually burn into the chip. My understanding is you can get it done for about $100 usd with the company recommended above by my friend lead.org. 

The solution recommended by Lenovo is to replace the system board. My guess is they would charge you about $600 if pricing is similar to other models

What you can do is see if you are able to boot from a usb floppy drive, or bootable usb stick. If you can, then look for phoenix bios rescue program. If your lucky and it works, it should get the machine to a bootable condition where you can then use a bootable cdrom disc to flash the correct bios, as this program will only install an extremely generic bios only designed to make the unit able to receive a proper bios update.

However, if this works, then I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket, because you would be extremely lucky.

ps. If you can get the unit to beep by abusing the keyboard (holding down  a dozen or more keys,  I'm not advising you smash the thing), then there is a chance it may be able to boot from a floppy or usb.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
venkatlikhitb

Thank You very much for the answer. I hope am lucky!!!1
Thank you again!!!!:smileyhappy:

TuuS wrote:

venkatlikhitb wrote:

The only way to fix a unit with a completely failed bios is to manually reprogram the bios chip. This requires special equipment as well as knowing exactly what to manually burn into the chip. My understanding is you can get it done for about $100 usd with the company recommended above by my friend lead.org. 

The solution recommended by Lenovo is to replace the system board. My guess is they would charge you about $600 if pricing is similar to other models

What you can do is see if you are able to boot from a usb floppy drive, or bootable usb stick. If you can, then look for phoenix bios rescue program. If your lucky and it works, it should get the machine to a bootable condition where you can then use a bootable cdrom disc to flash the correct bios, as this program will only install an extremely generic bios only designed to make the unit able to receive a proper bios update.

However, if this works, then I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket, because you would be extremely lucky.

ps. If you can get the unit to beep by abusing the keyboard (holding down  a dozen or more keys,  I'm not advising you smash the thing), then there is a chance it may be able to boot from a floppy or usb.

TuuS wrote:

venkatlikhitb wrote:

TuuS wrote:

venkatlikhitb wrote:

TuuS wrote:

venkatlikhitb wrote:

TuuS wrote:

venkatlikhitb wrote:

Thank You very much for the solution bro!!!!
I hop am lucky to get my lappy back into condition....

What's DOS?
gevik

Re: BIOS v580c 20160

Re: BIOS v580c 20160  is needed bios on this model in  a format .bin, NOUT WITHOUT VITAL SPARKS.