Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kmcneill

Backup Battery location

I am troubleshooting my laptop and have instructions that tell me to remove both the battery pack and the backup battery.  I have no problem with the battery pack but have gone through all of my manuals and cannot find where the backup battery is located.  I have a T40 model 2388.  Could you please instruct me as to where I can retrieve this information?

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: Backup Battery location

kmcneill, welcome to the forum,

it seems from your other thread that you know where the backup battery is; swapping it out provoked the supervisor password prompt you asked about.

You can find parts' locations and instructions on how to dismantle your T40 in the Hardware Maintainance Manual.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kmcneill

Excuse Me?  How dare you accuse me of anything!  If I knew where the backup battery was I would not be asking for your assistance.  So far the only thing I have received from you is sarcasm and a block to my other request.  The battery that I replaced, was the main battery pack.  Now I need to know where the backup battery is located per instructions received from the Lenovo Support Site.

This laptop was purchased in 2003, its warrenty ran out in 2008, it is a fantastic computer and I have never had any problem with it until the battery pack died.  Now all of the sudden everyone I speak to acts like its going to take an act  from GOD to remove a password that I didnt even create to fix it.  You and I both know that there is a simple solution to this problem but you refuse to be of any use to me other than trying to make me feel like I am robbing you of your livelyhood.

I called IBM.  I asked them what I had to do to send it to an IBM certified repair shop.  I was informed that in order to diagnose the problem a 500.00++ hold would have to be placed on my credit card before they would even assess it.

Since you can buy a brand new DELL for less than that, would you like to tell me why I would choose this course of action?  Right now it is looking like IBM created this program glitch to occur whenever you replace the battery pack so that they could get extra money to fix it. 

The only reason I am trying to regain access to this computer is for the pictures I have stored on the hard drive.  Since you obviously dont intend to help me at all, please respond with a way that I can lodge a formal complaint to IBM and/or Lenovo for its completely inadequate customer service.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

I didn't accuse you of anything. Removing the main battery pack would not provoke the need to enter a password at boot.  Only Removing the backup, (CMOS / BIOS), battery would do this should a supervisor password have been set at some point by someone. The simple solution is to remember the password or exchange the mainboard.

Discussion on password cracking in these boards is STRICTLY forbidden.

Sorry if you feel wronged, but the above is FACT.

If you need to get files from the hard drive you could remove it and attach it to another system directly or by using an USB hard drive caddy and copy the files you need. Instructions on how to remove the hard drive can be found in the Hardware Maintainance Manual.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

JaneL

kmcneill wrote:

Excuse Me?  How dare you accuse me of anything!  If I knew where the backup battery was I would not be asking for your assistance.

I'm a little confused now.  When you posted in the other thread, you said:

kmcneill wrote:

I have a T40 type2388 Thinkpad that had its internal batter dry out.  I ordered a new battery, but when I installed it and let it charge

I assumed that meant the internal battery, but you meant that you ordered and installed a new external battery?

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
kmcneill

Like I said... where can I go to complain about you- above and beyond the Better Business Bureau

JaneL

kmcneill wrote:

Like I said... where can I go to complain about you- above and beyond the Better Business Bureau

I think there's been a misunderstanding about the purpose of this forum.  Neither Andy nor I are Lenovo employees.  While there are a few Lenovo employees in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel with dedicated Lenovo support personnel assigned to it. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum, and there is no guarantee that you will get a response from a Lenovo employee.

See the Community Participation Rules for a description of the forum and its rules.

For dedicated support from Lenovo, call the help desk at 1-800-426-7378

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Retired Guru
amace

[ Edited ]

quote: "Like I said... where can I go to complain about you- above and beyond the Better Business Bureau"

nowhere.  This is a public forum with volunteer, non-Lenovo Moderators.  They're simply giving you an answer, unforunately its not the one you want to hear.  You already said you replaced the internal (backup) battery, I'm not sure what the problem is.  You're playing the classic "Mommy said no, so I'll go ask daddy".  It doesn't work.

T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M