Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
SteveM06801

Bios Issue

In a nutshell.  I upgraded the bios on my T42 Type 2379 using the Autoupgrade nonesense at Lenovo.  Wall power, uninterupted etc etc.  Now the T42 is Dead!!  well not exactly..  It simply will not see a HDD any HDD, at all, will boot, CD,floppy etc.  I cant get to any HDD to even rebuild the OS.

I am assuming that the Bios update killed it (or some part of it).  I have an external floppy drive, and Downloaded a bios revision  but the system expects the OS to be installed.  Some kinda web based install!

Can someone point me in the direction of or does someone have a DOS based earlier than the last one BIOS revision that I can flash the Bios with!  It has to be DOS based no OS nothing installed because it WILL not see the HDD'

Incidentally I have another Laptop with the same drive and all my HDD's Work  NP.  I also flashed my 600's E and X with the autoupdate too.  These too are now paperweights with the same issue.  I feel that the Lenovo Autoupdate did this and that a DOS based flash will remedy.. 

Any Ideas where I can get it???

Thanks in advance !!

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

Re: Bios Issue

SteveM06801, welcome to the forum,

If you scroll down to the bottom of the diskette BIOS download page you will find previous versions available for download. Please ensure that you have a compatible Embeded Controller version installed for the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
SteveM06801

Hi Andy,   I will do that and have a look for the Bios, but I am unsure about the version and this embedded controller thing.  I am familiar with Bios and updates etc but the Think pad is not really my forte..    That was why I really went with the Lenovo autoupdate install.  In fact that worked for me on all three machines in the past.  I had no reason to suspect that it would take a dump on me !!  Yes I update all three at the same time...  T42,  Model 2379 600E and 600x

What exactly do you refer too: "Please ensure that you have a compatible Embeded Controller version installed for the BIOS."  I  thought that this was taken care of in the bios!  I do feel that this is the root of the issue and the controller just wont see the HDD, any HDD and I know that they are good !!

A nudge in the correct direction would be awesome and I would appreciate that. I have struggled with the resurrection of these machines since I did the AutoUpdate thing.  I know that they will come back.  I just need some think specific knowledege to make them live again. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance/assistance/Instructions etc 

Steve

andyP

[ Edited ]

When you enter BIOS you can see your BIOS and Embedded Controller versions, see BIOS Simulator. When you look at the previous versions of BIOS on the website there is a table showing which Controller version is required for that BIOS. The reverse can be seen on the Embedded Controller download site.

Edit; this only applies to the T42

Message Edited by andyP on 12-22-2008 10:55 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
SteveM06801

Forgive me for being a little dense here, But I cant run the embedded controller update in dos.  The whole point here is that I cannot see my Hard Drive..

What the heck happened with the ThinkVantage??

Help with some concise instructions, frustrated as all heck with this

Paper Tape
SteveM06801

I did mean to say Please !!  :smileysad:
Paper Tape
SteveM06801

Ooops silly me !  go to dos and extract the Prog !  Instructions dont say that!!  ...

Anyway after all that no go... I think that the update fried the T42 at least..  Does not see the HHD, not for anything !

It worked pefectly before It hit it with ThinkAdvantage !

Dammit !  

Paper Tape
SteveM06801

I really do think that the HDD controller is fried !!  I went back to embedded 3.3 and earlier Bios, still nothing.  HDD spins up on Power on but nothing further occurs.  It finally in the absence of a floppy or CD to boot attempts a network boot.

Is there some tool that I can use to query the controller and run tests...?

Like I said it worked perfectly before the ThinkVantage.  I have been readin that a lot of folks have had similar issues and turned thinkpads into paperweights.

andyP

Try seeing what PC Doctor says using the bootable CD version.

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
ranga62

I upgraded Bios of t42 and after shut down laptop's fan spins but nothing on screen at all. Look like dead any solution.