Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
al3nas
Accepted Solution

Bluetooth update killed my Windows 7

Hi,

On friday I installed this update for Bluetooth on my T61p with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70042

First I was installing this driver update and it showed error - VC++ 2008 components install failed and it rolled back the installation.

Then I restarted laptop and tried again.

This time update was doing its thing, but at about 80% it was taking a long time and there was a lot of harddisk activity.

Later icons started dissapearing, then windows started showing alert that I am trying to install not a signed driver. I clicked accept once, then there were more alerts of unsigned driver installation - i clicked cancel, then I got alert from Windows protection, saying that windows files were modified. Then I saw that my windows became non-genuine.

Tried to run some programs - did not work.

Decided to do system restore, but while it was doing system restore - laptop unexpectedly restarted.

After that windows were not able to boot.

So seems like this driver was infected with a powerful virus.

I am calling Lenovo support Monday morning...

Blue Screen Again
al3nas

Re: Bluetooth update killed my Windows 7

Also - I did not have anti-virus (not using antivirus since Vista...) This is the first time that this happened to me (you would not expect virus from Lenovo or Broadcom?).

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,314

al3nas wrote:

Also - I did not have anti-virus (not using antivirus since Vista...) This is the first time that this happened to me (you would not expect virus from Lenovo or Broadcom?).

get avast home edition and it should be free. Always install an anti virus when you download.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
al3nas

If vendors would not be dodgy - why would I need antivirus to slow down my computer? Don't forget UAC does its job very well. And in case of driver installation you would click YES anyway - so antivirus probably would not help it either...

Paper Tape
grit

The same thing just happened to me.

I downloaded the drivers directly from the support page.

Windows 7 proffesional, 32 bit

thinkpad t61

My system exhibited the same symptoms.

The install was taking excessively long, I clicked on one of my icons and it said it did not exist. I then clicked on my start menu and it was empty.

My user folder contained only the standard issue folders (My Documents, etc)

I logged out and logged back in and as before it was as if everything had been deleted.

I then restarted my computer and windows was unable to boot.

I used a system disc to try and do a startup repair, it at first found a problem and apparently fixed it, windows would still not boot.

I tried to do a system restore, it started to restore, after about 5 minutes the restore failed. saying it could not find a file.

I tried to use another restore point but it now could not find any restore points.

With no options left I tried to reinstall windows, i chose not to reformat so that my old files would be kept in WINDOWS.OLD. After "Expanding Windows files" the install failed saying it was missing an unspecified file.

I'm guessing this thing just tore our filesystems to shreds somehow. I've never had an "official"  piece of software do anything like this to any of my computers. I would appreciate an official response.

Paper Tape
grit

EDIT: I did not receive the unsigned driver message, or the inguenuine windows message reported by the first post.

Blue Screen Again
al3nas

I had to reinstall too. System repair did not help. I did clean install.

After that I scanned the same driver with antivirus - did not find anything.

Then on  new windows install I tried the same driver, but this time updated driver through device manager and not running setup.exe.

When updated through device manager - everything worked fine.

So I guess the problem is in drivers setup.exe (or somewhere). Probably routine that uninstalls the OLD driver is flawed and instead it deletes whole C: drive....

Did not call Lenovo yet, but I will cause I think they are responsible for this mess.

In a process I lost Windows 7 Enterprise key and that pisses me off the most....

Blue Screen Again
al3nas

It happened to one of my brothers friend in march too.

So this definitely relates to Broadcom drivers (version 6.2.1.1400 and probably earlier ones).

I sent message to broadcom, but they did not respond yet. Maybe I will send link to this thread too.

Paper Tape
grit

I first installed the drivers through windows update. It didn't automatically download them for me but provided me a direct link. The file-name was 7zbv14ww.exe.

This version worked but didn't seem to be supporting A2DP.

I decided to check for updated drivers on lenovo's support page, and found the drivers you linked in the original post. the file name was 7zbv15ww.exe.

Check to see which version microsoft gave you when you used Hardware Manager.

Did your brothers friend use drivers provided by lenovo or was it another source?

Also of note:

When I was installing the drivers using 7zbv15ww.exe (the one that screwed everything up), the logo for bluetooth was displayed in my notification tray.

After a while the installer was still hung up uninstalling the old drivers. So I tried my luck, right clicked on the bluetooth icon in my notification tray, and removed it. The loading bar immediately jumped.

I can't remember much of what happened after that as I was distracted by all my files seeming to dissapear.  I beleive the installation eventually failed, but i'm not sure.

Blue Screen Again
al3nas

[ Edited ]

I think I might have had 7zbv14ww.exe before I installed 7zbv15ww.exe too.

So this could relate to bad uninstall procedure with the new or older driver.

After installing this new driver (without setup, through device manager and pointing to driver folder) my version of ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate is 6.2.0.1417. And it is working fine. And when installing this way - I do not have all annoying plugins like send to bluetooth or office plugins for bluetooth.

Don't know details about friends computer, just know that it was wiped out after bluetooth update.

So lesson here is to:

1. EDIT: DO NOT UNINSTALL the old driver.

2. EDIT: Download the latest driver from lenovo (version 17) and install that one over the top. Version 17 suppose to fix the uninstaller wiping your system. Read this thread for more info...