Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cleaner

Bluetooth uninstall problem

Hello everyone. I own the famous Thinkpad T61p with bluetooth and Windows 7.

Recently, I was trying to connect my Nokia to Thinkpad via bluetooth and it failed. I thought I may update the bluetooth software as there was a newer version available. I downloaded it and started the install, but after several minutes of installing, a window pops up with an error, which I don't remember.

I thought I first had to uninstall the previous version, so I did. It took so long untill finally, my desktop files, folders and shortcuts disappeared, but the uninstallation strangely continued. I thought Windows just hung up. It said it needs to reboot, so I clicked yes.

After rebooting it failed to boot, and I am sitting with this screen that says the Windows couldn't start, you should try a startup repair. I inserted the Windows 7 disk, but it says it cannot repair the startup. At the bottom of the window there was a link to see the errors - it said registry was corrupted.

I was going to copy my personal files via a usb Sata HDD docking station and do a fresh Windows install. So I connected HDD, looked into the Downloads and Documents folders - they are EMPTY!!!

I need help. Please, if anything could be done, I'd really appreciate.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Bluetooth uninstall problem

Hi cleaner, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Sadly it sounds like you have seen the same problem as others in this thread :smileysad:.

If you don't have a backup of your important files, stop using the disk immediately. Use a good recovery tool on the disk or seek professional assistance.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Paper Tape
cleaner

Re: Bluetooth update killed my Windows 7

My post has been moved here. Thanks as I couldn't find the right wording for my problem to search for it on the forum.

Now I've read all five pages and I remember I saw the version of my bluetooth was 1400, and the newer being 1401. But that doesn't help me in any way. My data is gone.

I guess I should have read the description of bluetooth downloads. But how was I to know that the driver I downloaded from official lenovo website was corrupted. I installed it long time ago.

Paper Tape
cleaner

Re: Bluetooth uninstall problem

Do you think data can still be restored?

Paper Tape
cleaner

Ok, finally I managed to restore my files.

Fanfold Paper
blackmambo

[ Edited ]

I have a T500 (with Win7) and the Lenovo bluetooth software wiped out my hard drive too. Tried calling Lenovo first as I have warranty and was directed to IBM. Apparently, IBM only manages hardware issues and not Lenovo software issues. So after checking the forums here for a solution (and there isn't one.....except for do not uninstall), I wrote to Lenovo via site feedback and haven't gotten a proper response except for a link to submit a request. And the bluetooth driver is still on the website.....to create havoc on poor unsuspecting users.

In my case, I decided to do a clean install of Win7 and did not reinstall the Lenovo bluetooth software. The generic bluetooth software from Microsoft works just fine too!!!! Wasted almost a week as I had to recover personal data (my last backup was almost a month ago) and then to check it (~80% recovered but 50% of the files corrupted and could not be used) and finally to reinstall Win7 and all of other applications. :smileymad:

FYI - Bluetooth problem occurring on other Lenovo models as well:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Bluetooth-driver-issues-with-version-6-2-1-...

Good Luck!!!

Punch Card
dominik_heine

Hi!

Since this thread was at least answered by an admin 10 days ago I hope my request will be heard here.

I was lucky and got an error-message when I tried to install version 6.2.1.1401 which stopped the installation-routine (http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1904/errorvu.jpg).

But now I am still stuck with version 6.2.1.1400 which has this little flaw that the uninstallation procedure obviously deletes all data - I would like to make some comparisions of this to a Virus or point out how I feel about it that Lenovo publishes a driver with this "little flaw" and then just publishes an "improved" version of it without giving further notice or reacting fast to this problem; I mean "(Fix) Improved the uninstallation program." (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70042), seriously, you can't call that  "improved" or is Toyota advertising that their new version of the car is "improved" since now the gas pedal will not be stuck? Data could have easily been saved if Lenovo would have given notice! Ok, I have to stop myself here - I didn't loose my data so far and I can hardly imagine how these people must feel about this.

Anyway, I would be happy if Lenovo would react to this problem soon - I would like to update to the version which is not going to delete all my data and would like to have instructions on how I can get rid of this version which obviously needed "improvement".

Thank you - I would really like to have faith in Lenovo again; I usually kept my system up-to-date but now I don't know if I can trust what Lenovo is producing and especially in the way a known problem is handled - I mean we are talking about lost data here, not about a Bluetooth-device which maybe doesn't work for a while or something minor like that!

Regards,

Dominik

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

The error you see is a pretty common error when installing a program that include the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. If you google for this error you will find a lot of other with the same error for a lot of programs. You could try to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable from Microsoft to install before you install the bluetooth software. Worst case you might even have to remove the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable if you already got some version installed and then reinstall. I have seen this error as well and manually installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable before i install the program solved the problem for me in some cases. Just a tip for the error you see when trying to install the new version of the bluetooth software.

-gan

Punch Card
dominik_heine

Thanks for the information about the error I receive - I will try your recommendation as soon as I know what I can do so that I won't loose my data when I uninstall or update the current bluetooth driver.

Dominik

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Using tools like R&R, Acronis or the Windows 7 backup program (for some editions) you can create a image backup of your computer. I would recommend to do that before you try upgrading the bluetooth software in case there could be a chance of data loss. Then it should be easy to do a full recovery without any data loss in case it should be necessary. Backup for recovery could be useful either way like if the HD crash completely or data corruption so could be something to consider in any case.

-gan