Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
max221

Re: Bluetooth update killed my Windows 7

I just had the same thing happen to me: T510 win732. I installed the latest bluetooth update and now have a non-functioning computer. Is there any way to get at the hard drive to recover what is still there before I reload windows? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Slide Rule>i1400>R40>R60>T510>T530
What's DOS?
vitlam

Conduct complete HDD backup

Enable Bluetooth on the Thinkpad

Go to device manager and remove Thinpad Device (2.1 by Broadcom) while checking remove the drivers and software

Once removed disable (Fn-F5) bluetooth device and restart your computer

Uninstall .1400 Thinkpad driver using Control Panel Uninstall

Restart

Install .2900 driver

Paper Tape
dv440

[ Edited ]

I have version 1400 of the Lenovo bluetooth driver on a x200s, win7x64.

I've had the same symptoms that numerous others have reported:

* Straightforward install of 2900 driver results in error 1935 + rollback

* After rollback, each time system starts, dialog box pops up saying BT tray failed to load (fixed this by removing BTtray from startup group)

* Uninstall of 1400 driver via Control Panel> Programs and Features results in mass file deletion.  The dialog box showed "13 seconds remaining" for about 5 minutes;  in the meantime, right-clicking C: showed the amount of free space going up, from 25 GiB initially, to 50 GiB, 100 GiB, 200 GiB, finally 427 GiB free.  This was on a 454 GiB C: partition.  Then the uninstall, having completed its awful work, nevertheless shows the "please restart your PC" dialog box as if the installation were successful.  Absolutely diabolic and it is unfathomable that Lenovo has not addressed this problem seriously in many months.  I'm glad I saw this thread before doing this, as I had already made a baremetal backup via Knoppix/dd

* Following the exact steps presented by vitlam in message #62 DID NOT WORK and led to the mass deletion of files described above

Bottom line, if you have version 1400 of the bluetooth driver, LEAVE IT ALONE until Lenovo gets around to figuring out what is going wrong.

Paper Tape
dv440

I want to repeat the seriousness of this problem  in case anyone at Lenovo is reading:

Before uninstall of 1400 driver:  25 gigabytes free

After uninstall of 1400 driver:  427 gigabytes free

Therefore, the uninstall deleted 402 gigabytes of files

Maybe it's time to get someone to seriously look into this, Lenovo?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
cebula

I had this issue as you can see earlier in the thread; I feel your pain...  Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do to help.  I used Recuva to get some of my files back, then got the rest from a recent backup after reformatting and starting fresh.  

Here's a message I got from Lenovo awhile back...if you can answer some of the questions, it may be able to help them recreate the problem.  Mark Hopkins is one of the admins here on the forum who's replied a few times in the thread.  I'd say either answer these questions here, or PM them to Mark (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4).

-Andrew

"

I am currently assisting Mark Hopkins into looking into this issue which you are facing, based on the information which the team has provided, kindly assist to provide the below information needed by the team in order to reproduce this issue at their lab as the engineers have tried several attempts to reproduce this issue however they were unable to do so, therefore they have sent us a more detailed question in order to reproduce this problem. 

• Lenovo preloaded image or personal image
  • Did you update the BIOS before installing the Bluetooth driver?
  • If yes, what BIOS were you using previously?
  • Updates from TVSU?
  • Windows Updates?
  • Any application running in the background before installing the Bluetooth driver?
  • What is the version of the Bluetooth Driver were you upgrading to?
  • Did anything diffrent before starting the Bluetooth installer?
  • Please check if you were able to retrive the following file in C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\logs (look for the file called "tvsu_log_dateTHATitWASrun.txt)
  • Bluetooth Driver installed before upgrading to the latest one (6.2.1.1400)
  • Are you running any program when the TVSU was running? If so, what were those programs?
  • Option to upgrade Bluetooth via TVSU or manually download?
  • Did you get the option to upgrade the Bluetooth driver the first time you ran the TVSU or was it multiple times?
  • Could you be of assistant to the engineers to reproduce this issue?
  • If yes, please write down the exact steps which you have done in order to reproduce this issue."
Paper Tape
Peluche

Are there any updates regarding that issue? I have the same problem, I wanted to update to the new version but I got the same error (Produkt: ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software -- Fehler 1935. Während der Installation der Assembly "policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32-policy). But I can't unistall 6.2.1.1400 as this will wipe out my data...
What's DOS?
MasYva

[ Edited ]

Is this the same issue?

All that happened yesterday.

W500 Windows 7 Pro: uninstalled BT 14 drivers, installed BT 19 drivers, updated automatically using Lenoveo Update and now I can't find an important folder that contains all my work for the last few months...

Currently running a recovery tool to check if the files where deleted and when. Will post an update once it's finished scanning.

What's DOS?
MasYva

I confirm: data has been deleted during this process...

What's DOS?
simio

Well, here's another case. Tried to uninstall the preinstalled version from Control Panel, got suspicious when a button-less progress window never showed any progress while the hard drive begged to disagree, and so, I killed the msi exec. 

And just in time, it seems now that I've found this thread. All I seem to have lost is ~20GB of installed software, and Windows is no longer "genuine". Next stop: System Recovery land. Shame on what could have been a nice weekend. And on Lenovo.

What's DOS?
guenni

Same problem on a Sony Vaio here. Lost my whole data while trying to reinstall the bluetooth drivers.

Now, a few months later, I got new problems with my bluetooth driver and I'm afraid to kill my data again. Is there any known workaround?