Fanfold Paper
miloarvindse

CPU fan is working for few seconds and stoped then a long beep and 2 short beep

[ Edited ]
Hello Team,

I purchased a T61 laptop in 2008.

Machine Type 6460
Serial Number : *

Now a problem with my laptop I shutdown the laptop properly in the evening and when i tried to start it in the morning it is giving me a long beep and 2 short beep. there is no display on the screen also . Seems there is some problem with motherboard and graphics card. Looks like no booting process is going on i checked with external monitor but no display on external monitor also.
CPU fan is working for few seconds and stoped then a long beep and 2 short beep . when i am trying to stop the machine with poweroff button again one beep before poweroff.

Pls sugguest me wht to do the next and what is the real problem .

Moderator edit: Masked serial.
802.11n
pagroundhog

Re: CPU fan is working for few seconds and stopped then a long beep and 2 short beep

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Your reported T61 bios beep codes would indicate you have one of the following failures:

• System board
  • LCD assembly
  • DIMM

The DIMMS would be my first choice to test so, if you have more than one DIMM installed, try  try removing one of them and try to boot, if OK, you have removed the bad RAM; however, if the results are the same, remove the other DIMM and install the one you removed previously. If you can boot OK now, you have isolated the bad RAM. Now, if you can't boot with either stick, then, I guess the RAM is not the problem (unless you have two bad sticks and I doubt that). See the  Memory Removal and Installation Guide for more information.

Good luck!

Fanfold Paper
miloarvindse

Re: CPU fan is working for few seconds and stopped then a long beep and 2 short beep

Hello

I have only one RAM device . I removed the Ram from the slot and tried to start the laptop no display and FAN stop after few second and many short beeps. Even i tried to change the RAM from the another running laptop(T61) but still problem is same .

802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello,

It could be a graphics card failure too; however, since your graphics are inetgrated into the motherboard, I don't have any other suggestions.

Good luck!

Bit Torrent
TuuS

If your model has nVidia graphics, then you probably have a failed Graphics processor. This is a common problem on machines build before august 2008.

The solution is to replace your system board, although a new system board will cost well above the units resale value, there are more cost effective options. One of the more popular options is to do an Intel conversion, replacing your systemboard and heatsink with one that has Intel graphics. Your performance will decrease slightly, but they are more reliable.

I'm preparing a guide with step by step instructions on fixing these, I'd be glad to send you the rough draft if your interested. I also have an nvidia and an intel board. Message me if your interested.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello original poster,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and/or get your issue resolved?

Please let us know.

Your feedback is important to the community.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Using the (masked) serial I was able to determing that this is a 6460-EDG:

ThinkPad T61 (6460-EDG)

T9300(2.5GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion, WinVista Business 32

Making it likely TuuS is correct.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Token Ring
orion9727

Re: CPU fan is working for few seconds and stoped then a long beep and 2 short beep

yea normally a bad GPU.
commen in them nvids.
some of them were air solder to the board and the heat twists them off.
i am not sure of that exact model mayby someone might confirm it.
sometimes you can reseat them with heat.
best to go buy a air solder gun if it that case.
some had luck doing a heat lamp and pressure but you really have to read up on that and it a tickey fix.
it worth a try but there plenty of used part t60 out there but thing is there also alot of new cheap laptops as well.
so i would look at all my options most of all with cheap sub 400 doller latops and 200 doller black friday specials.
a used mobo will go 50-150.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: CPU fan is working for few seconds and stoped then a long beep and 2 short beep

orion9727 wrote:
yea normally a bad GPU.
commen in them nvids.
some of them were air solder to the board and the heat twists them off.
i am not sure of that exact model mayby someone might confirm it.
sometimes you can reseat them with heat.
best to go buy a air solder gun if it that case.
some had luck doing a heat lamp and pressure but you really have to read up on that and it a tickey fix.
it worth a try but there plenty of used part t60 out there but thing is there also alot of new cheap laptops as well.
so i would look at all my options most of all with cheap sub 400 doller latops and 200 doller black friday specials.
a used mobo will go 50-150.

You cannot fix the bad nVidia chips like this. The only way to fix the board would be to replace the GPU, which requires special equipment. Replacing the systemboard would be cheaper and more reliable.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Guru
Mornsgrans

As far as i know, the nVidia chip is sticked together with the board with expoxy glue - so the chip cannot be replaced.

nickpaton from forum.thinkpads.com had tired to replace the chip with no success. An additional problem is, that single nVidia chips are not available. 

That PNt he to me a couple of months ago.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection