Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
LukeD
Accepted Solution

Can a T61 with a Santa Rosa platform run Vist 64-bit, or do you need a Penryn platform?

Can a T61 with a Santa Rosa platform run Vista 64-bit, or do you need a Penryn platform?

I have been told that the Santa Rosa platform cannot handle Vista 64-bit.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Greps Everything
ConnectDon

Re: Can a T61 with a Santa Rosa platform run Vist 64-bit, or do you need a Penryn platform?

Mine does!  Actually, the Santa Rosa platform supports either Merom or Penryn processors, which are both 64-bit.

Don

802.11n
icantux

Re: Can a T61 with a Santa Rosa platform run Vist 64-bit, or do you need a Penryn platform?

Hi Luke,

Any Core 2 Duo processor is capable of 64bit handling, this includes Merom CPUs (T7xxx) and the newer Penryn CPUs (T8xxx & T9xxx ).

The platform you speak of is the motherboard chipset version (or cycle in manufacturing terms). "Santa Rosa" is simply a name given to a particular generation of motherboard chipset. In this case, Santa Rosa is the fourth in a generation (or cycles) of chipsets which was introduced by Intel in mid 2007. This platform supports both Merom and Penryn CPUs and indeed the CPUs support 64-bit OS addressing.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Token Ring
LukeD

[ Edited ]

I thank you very much, Steve and Don!

I had been speaking with a Lenovo tech support agent earlier today, who had advised, "a Santa Rosa platform cannot run Vista 64-bit".

I know. It did not make sense to me either. I guess the Lenovo agent was a newbie.

I appreciate the clarification!

PS: I wish that I could have both responses marked as solutions.

Message Edited by LukeD on 07-08-2008 04:44 PM
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**