Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
whiskcat
Accepted Solution

Cannot boot new hard drive after clone on T61p

I have a T61p that had a 100G Hitachi HD.  I purchased thru Lenovo a 500G Toshiba HD, placed it in the laptop HD slot, placed the old 100G HD in an ultrabay adapter when there DVD drive normally is, and booted from a Clonezilla Live USB 4G drive.  I did a device-to-device taking the detault options.  Appears to have worked with no problems.  I did not change any settings for the IBM pre-desktop area.

BIOS is set to boot the HD in the laptop HD slot and then the HD in the ultrabay.  However, after booting, it looks as if I am now booting off the old drive in the ultrabay adapter.  Windows Vista disk management does show both drives, and it shows both drives the same with a 700M partition and then roughly a 93G partition.  The new HD has the rest of the space unallocated, which is ok since I can use either Vista or GPARTED to expand it.  The old HD has a 'boot' flag set, and both drive are 'active'.

If I take the HD in the ultrabay out, I get a black screen with a heading of Windows Boot Manager with three options, and then the error below:

file: \windows\system32\winload.exe

desc: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I have googled and looked thru this forum and found several hits, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing.  I saw where someone had used Norton Ghost with the -ib switch set, but I used Clonezilla.  Any ideas?

ALSO, how can I tell if I've successfully copied the IBM pre-desktop area?  and if I have to set it nornal or disabled, where would I do that?

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: Cannot boot new hard drive after clone on T61p

Personally I'd only clone a disc as a last resort, it's far from the best option, but if you must, you need to understand that your cloning from a regular drive to one with advanced format, so you need to use a setting that copies the content to new partitions, not one that remakes identical ones. I've never used that cloning program, so you'd have to check if it can do this or not. Specically check what needs to be done to transfer your system from a standard to an advanced format drive.. This should also let you adjust the size of the partitions. Acronis has worked well for me in the past, but I prefer to do a fresh install, that way you're leaving behind a lot of problems that your probably unaware of and stating with a fresh install. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Punch Card
whiskcat

Re: Cannot boot new hard drive after clone on T61p

Problem solved.  Since I had cloned the disk and that included the IBM predesktop area/hidden partition, so with the old drive in the ultrabay being removed, I was able to boot using the blue thinkvantage button during machine startup.  From there I could run a repair that resolved the problem.  The new drive now has the 'boot' flag and can not be used to boot into Windows Vista.