Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
mbauern2000

Changing internal hard drive for lenovo T61

I am wondering the steps to go about changing my internal hard drive in my Lenovo T61. It currently is only 100GB and I want al least 250GB. Are there certain hard drives that are not compatible with the T61? Also, how does the data get transferred from the old one to the new one? I know I can't simply plug the new one in and go, there has to be some data transfer.

Thanks,

Mark B

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 349
Solutions: 132

Re: Changing internal hard drive for lenovo T61

[ Edited ]

[Message edited to correct typo.  AG]

Hello,

The highest-capacity hard disk drive I have used in a ThinkPad T61 is a 500GB model, however, there's no reason a 640GB or 750GB model would not work.  All you need do is make sure the hard disk drive is a regular 2.5" form-factor, 9.5mm high, SATA interface model.  Depending upon which model of hard disk drive you purchase, it may come with (or be available for download from the HDD manufacturer's web site) disk cloning software to copy the contents of your old hard disk drive to the new one.  You will also need a USB to SATA cable to connect the old hard disk drive to your computer so that its contents may be copied to the new hard disk drive installed inside the computer.

If you have a standard version of Microsoft Windows installed this should not pose any problems; if you are using an edition of Windows preloaded by Lenovo, check with the disk cloning software manufacturer to see what, if any, additional steps need to be taken to successfully clone your original hard disk drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
mbauern2000

Can I "clone" the old hard drive on an external hard drive? Then put the new internal hard drive in and copy the info to that?

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

That's asking for trouble :smileysurprised:  You should reverse clone; insert the new blank drive into your T61 and clone to it with the original drive in an external caddy.
If necessary create a rescue cd from e.g. Acronis and boot from it to run the cloning process.
http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Upgrading-HDD-on-ThinkPad-T61p/ta-p/32519...
And something I threw together with fellow moderator KalvinKlein

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
JRBC

I was told by an IBM Tech on the Warranty desk that Lenovo/IBM only approved HDD's for my T61 up to 250 GB.  From some of the other posts on this board it seems that 500GB works as well.  I installed a 250GB HDD from Lenovo a year ago, using Acronis 2010 to take an image of my 100GB HDD and then reloaded it onto the new HDD without a hitch - it booted up perfectly first time.

A year later when I needed to do the same thing again (because of a separate user software issue), the process did not work, even with the same image of the old hard drive or after making a fresh one.  I got an error message and BSOD starting Windows, and then when trying to repair windows it said "Driver Bad", even though both use the same Windows Driver (Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 one from 06/21/2006) so still a mystery.  I reloaded my backup image of my HDD taken this year withotu a hitch.  It was the last years image which would not start up, so a bit of amystery.  One IBM tech told me to put the SATA HDD into 'Compatible' mode in the Boot Menu, but I worked around the problem another way.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

The official list of HDD's for the most recent T61 Firmware update (FWSH33) is:

ToshibaMKxx32GSX
MKxx34GSX
MKxx08GAx
FujitsuMHV2xxxBH
MHV2xxxBH PL
MHW2xxxBH
MHW2xxxBH PL
MHZ2xxxBJ G1
MHZ2xxxCJ G1
HitachiHTS5410xxG9SA00
HTS5416xxJ9SA00
HTS5432xxL9SA00
HTS543216L9SA01FDE
HTS7210xxG9SA00
HTS7220xxK9SA00
HTS7220xxK9SA00FDE
WDWDxxxxBEVS-08RS
Seagate

Momentus 7200.1
Momentus 5400.3
Momentus 5400 FDE.2
Momentus 7200.2
Momentus 5400.4
Momentus 7200.3
Momentus 7200 FDE.1
Momentus 5400.6
| Momentus 7200.4
| Momentus 7200 FDE.2

Samsung

HM251JI

The 250GB HDD recommended to me by the IBM tech was Lenovo P/N is 43N3410 (cost ~$100), a Hitachi HTS723225L9SA61 which turns out to be NOT on this list.  It still works in my T61 however, but has its own firmware installed: FCDLC50B.

I have a question into Mark_Lenovo to ask a) if this HDD really is ok in the T61 and b) if I need to change the firmware, but I fixed the issue by repairing my software, and everything is fine now.

Greps Everything
PoPSiCLe

Have cloned my image more than once (cloning the cloned image etc) from my original 160 GB drive, first to a 320 GB WD-drive, then to a 120GB SSD drive. I don't have the specific model numbers in front of me right now, unfortunately. I've also had a temp 500GB Samsung drive, running it for a few hours, haven't had a problem with either one.

I've been using the Paragon Drive Image-software for cloning both the recovery partition and the regular installation partition, and it does the job perfectly (using Vista Business 32bit) - resizes the new image to address the new sized HD etc., no problems. I've also tested the cloned recovery image, and it works without a hitch.

All done by connecting the new HD/SSD via USB to the Lenovo, and just starting Paragon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
What's DOS?
ibaprez

Over the past few years I have had NO luck with cloning the original drive from my Thinkpad T61... I finally had to do something, I already carry a 500 gig in my 2nd drive bay, so tried again and nothing worked, even reverse cloning using the latest Acronis TrueImage Home 2012. 

NEW DRIVE - a super nice and fast Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003 (more on that toward end)

This is what finally did it for me:

1. Took the Thinkpad out of the equation (d'oh - should have done that four years ago!) by purchasing an 2/5"/3.5" Alua-tek External SATA Hard Drive duplicator!   You simply put the master in one port, the new drive in the second port, TRIPLE check you have them in the right ports (it is pretty clear, but still check, check and then check again) and hit the DUP button.  In about an hour my old 320 became a new 750

2. Installed new drive, hit power switch and wow, computer boot up (Windows XP Service Pack 3)  went from 5 minutes (I have lots of boot up programs) to less then 2 - did I say wow!

3. That left me with (I am doing this part from memory, numbers could be off slightly)

drive c: 300 meg (an exact copy of the old drive)

drive * (no drive designation) Lenovo service area

UNPARTITIONED 400 meg

So that leaves you with a super fast drive, but unesed 400 meg of space

4. Used Acronis TrueImage Home 2012 to try to redo partitions (had it from first trying to copy the drives, but it would fail and contiuned to do so with this step), filed away in the closet...

5. Did some searching, tried another partition download that failed (sorry did not keep name), but this one worked like a charm and it is free: EASEUS Partition Master v9.1 Home Edition

That allows yuou to **easily** make the 400 meg into drive D

Most people should stop here and be happy.  For the more adventuruous that want one big C drive....

Partition Master v9.1 has a way to combine partitions BUT (hate that word), they must be next to each other.  See above, I had:

C   <lenovo tools>  400 meg new

the lenovo tools is in the way - it took a while to figure that out because the program does not tell you this in plain english...

Yes, I thought about blowing away the Lenovo partition, but did not want to do that as was not sure what it really does or does not do (read it, but still, decided to keep it if possible).

So tried MOVE partition, but there is something odd about the Lenovo area and it would not move.

So CREATED NEW 10 gig space at the END of the 400 meg partition

COPIED Lenovo partition to that 10 gig space area

DELETED Lenovo partition

COMBINED the three partitions into C - and this is where it gets scary. 

Over the past few years I have had NO luck with cloning the original drive from my Thinkpad T61... I finally had to do something, I already carry a 500 gig in my 2nd drive bay, so tried again and nothing worked, even reverse cloning using the latest Acronis TrueImage Home 2012. 

NEW DRIVE - a super nice and fast Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003 (more on that toward end)

This is what finally did it for me:

1. Took the Thinkpad out of the equation (d'oh - should have done that four years ago!) by purchasing an 2/5"/3.5" Alua-tek External SATA Hard Drive duplicator!   You simply put the master in one port, the new drive in the second port, TRIPLE check you have them in the right ports (it is pretty clear, but still check, check and then check again) and hit the DUP button.  In about an hour my old 320 became a new 750

2. Installed new drive, hit power switch and wow, computer boot up (Windows XP Service Pack 3)  went from 5 minutes (I have lots of boot up programs) to less then 2 - did I say wow!

3. That left me with (I am doing this part from memory, numbers could be off slightly)

drive c: 300 meg (an exact copy of the old drive)

drive * (no drive designation) Lenovo service area

UNPARTITIONED 400 meg

So that leaves you with a super fast drive, but unesed 400 meg of space

4. Used Acronis TrueImage Home 2012 to try to redo partitions (had it from first trying to copy the drives, but it would fail and contiuned to do so with this step), filed away in the closet...

5. Did some searching, tried another partition download that failed (sorry did not keep name), but this one worked like a charm and it is free: EASEUS Partition Master v9.1 Home Edition

That allows yuou to **easily** make the 400 meg into drive D

Most people should stop here and be happy.  For the more adventuruous that want one big C drive....

Partition Master v9.1 issues all sorts of warnings, back up your daya, this could fail and you are out of luck, etc.  in my case, the original drive was sitting in the Alura-tek duplicator, so I considered all this an experinment (I was happy if I had to go back to C <lenovo> D and then my other E drive and let it do it's thing, which requires a reboot and probably about 40 minutes (memory is fuzzy here on timing) along with a couple of more warnings.

But it all worked perfectly, and now I am sitting on a very vest 750 gig of C drive.  Boot time is WAY faster, other performance is faster, but the boot time is where you really notice the new drives performance.   For me, this was disk space swap, but I have to say I also could have purchased a cheaper non-Hybird drive and saved $50, so I guess part of me wanted to see if the SSD hype was worth it. It was.

Michael Kneebone