Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
GregW

Disabling tapping on Touchpad (T61)

Hi,

I have been experiencing continual problems disabling the tapping on my T61's touchpad. I'm running XP and have been regularly forced to go into the Control Panel's Mouse settings to disable tapping on the Touchpad menu. Several times within a session, I've been forced to do this, because something seems to continually enable tapping. Can anyone suggest a remedy? I contacted Customer Service and was told that I would have to pay $99 to have them resolve the issue, since this was an out-of-warranty problem (not sure what that means, as the computer is less than 2 months old).

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Token Ring
singularity2006

Re: Disabling tapping on Touchpad (T61)

This is not the best way to do it, but you can actually disable the driver from starting up with the system.  U will still be able to use the touchpad and buttons but tap will not work.  To do this, u will have to edit the registry:

start menu > run > type: regedit [enter]
browse: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Find entries starting with "Syn" as this relates to the synaptics touchpad.  Delete those entries.

You will not longer be able to use the tap function until u re-install the driver.

But then again, have u tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver?  That can help.
T61_Wide | Model No. 7662 - CTO
Core 2 Duo T7250 | 2GB OCZ DDR2-800
82566MM Gigabit | 4965AGN Centrino Pro