Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Theuyas
Accepted Solution

Disk Read Error following HD Upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade the hard drive on my T60 laptop and am getting the message "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart." I'm grateful for any help anyone can give.

The old hard drive is a 60 GB Hitachi model HTS541060G9SA00. The new hard drive is a 500 GB Samsung model HN-M500MBB. I used Acronis True Image to create an image of the partitions on the old hard drive, following the procedure and guidelines I found here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1299861&postcount=9
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=203480

To reiterate a few aspects of the process: I had the *new* hard drive within the machine; I booted to the Acronis CD; I restored/resized the image stored on a USB hard drive to the new hard drive. When I boot to the new hard drive, I get the "disk read error" message.

What I've tried:
* I booted to UBCD. From this, I can open "My Computer" and see the partitions on the new hard drive, and I can see the files and folders within it. The C: partition is NTFS, 64428 MB with 43501 MB free; the D: partition is NTFS, 418765 MB with 393804 MB free. I assume this means that the hard drive itself is not faulty.
* I tried changing one BIOS setting: the "Serial ATA (SATA)" setting on "[Compatibility]" and booting (got the disk read error) and then on "[ACHI]" and booting (again, the disk read error). This is beyond my knowledge base, but I read on a forum somewhere that toggling this setting helped someone with a somewhat similar problem.

Any suggestions? I'm grateful for any help you can give. Thanks!

Community Moderator
richk

Re: Disk Read Error following HD Upgrade

[ Edited ]

You asked the same question Sunday on the "other" thinkpad forum. I told you the problem (advanced format drive) and asked you what OS you were running. I need to know that before I can be more specific

Paper Tape
Theuyas

Re: Disk Read Error following HD Upgrade

I hadn't realized that the two forums were linked or frequented by the same community or I wouldn't have posted in both places. I was able to get to a solution, details here:

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=102535