Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
fj
Fanfold Paper
fj

Re: Disputed Spill Allegations

Don't sweat the screen, it'll be just fine. Glad to hear Lenovo did the right thing.
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Lenovo uses the same third party repair depot (Solectron) that IBM used. So things were not any better when IBM had it. There were complaints about Selectron back then too.
Glad to see you got it worked out.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
xrayos

exactly. take the better wuxga screen!
What's DOS?
Insearchof

omph - I feel your pain..
I am still looking for a good replacement of the Lenovo hardware..
Personally I think that IBM did themselves a huge injustice when they sub'd the manufacturing out to a third party.
If you find a good solution and one that has the a similiar suite of software be sure to let me know..

Bit Torrent
wjli2

in this current market situation it is just uneconomical for the computer manufacturer to setup their own manufacturing plants as opposed to get the contract manufacturer to do the job... its just the economy of scale, even some small computer stores are producing computer laptops, then you have to compete with the likes of many other computer manufacturers like Mac, Compaq/hp, sony, acer.... the customer are demanding for better computer spec and yet at the same time the price must remain low.... when IBM were the only few whom produced computers and laptops then it would be possible to own the manufacturing plants... but now its different............ when Sony PSP were first released they were produced in Japan only, then they moved their manufacturing process to China which allowed them to produce at far lower costs and give the customer a lower price to compete with NDSL
Punch Card
mfox

"Lenovo uses the same third party repair depot (Solectron) that IBM used. So things were not any better when IBM had it. There were complaints about Selectron back then too.
Glad to see you got it worked out."

Please don't oversimplify it.  That really depends on where in the world you live.  The IBM partner that I work for has repair depots for Lenovo Hardware and we're not Solectron. 

On topic however I have seen 2 incidents here where we had to deny replacing a systemboard in a thinkpad (under warranty)due to spill damage where the user swore up and down that he had never spilt anything in it.  We have had others where the user freely admitted this and paid for the part himself.

Since 1 of these 2 people is me I am fairly confident in stating that I never spilled anything in my thinkpad.  I only left it in my car overnight then turned it on too quickly after I brought it inside.  I suppose this was due to temperature change and condensation but it certainly wasn't from spill damage even though that is sort of what it looked like on the board itself.
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

There is nothing oversimplified in my statement.
IBM used Solectron and so does Lenovo. I didn't say that they exclusively use Solectron and no other repair facilities.
Someone else said that Lenovos service is worse than IBM's and I pointed out that they use Solectron just like IBM did.

You surely do not want to imply that service is worse now because Lenovo uses repair facilities that IBM did not use......do you?:smileywink:      JK. I'm sure your shop does fine work.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Punch Card
mfox

The only difference between HW service from IBM then and Lenovo now , IMO, is the availability of replacement hardware.  Backorders on LCD's especially have been a big problem here in Canada lately.  In fact I've been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement L22X-wide LCD and there's still no ETA to when it's getting here.  This is a Lenovo warranty replacement I'm waiting for because the thing was only 6 weeks old.

Besides the availability of certain parts the service levels for hardware are identical, software is a completely different story.
Punch Card
Hellbore

So even if you didn't spill anything on your laptop, but there IS moisture inside due to some freak occurrence like, for example, humidity from the air condensing inside the laptop...  Technically you are still liable for that moisture damage aren't you?  Even if it's a mystery how the moisture got in there, if it's in there, you are liable right?

Accident protection coverage is definitely worth it, you never know when moisture might get in there, even if you're careful it can happen.
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Bit Torrent
wjli2

In  area such as Canada, moisture condensation would be a  big problem due to the temperature and humdity difference between indoor and outdoor.... this is the case for many North states in USA.... but laptops are tested to the condition that it would most likely to experience in indoor area of Canada.... maybe Canadian laptop should be the waterproof spec...