Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl
Accepted Solution

Error "driver cannot be installed on non-trackpoint systems"

I'm trying to get my otherwise functional trackpoint to work with Evernote on my T42p. People on their forums solved the problem by updating to the newest trackpoint driver. Fine. I downloaded it here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?submit=true&componentID=1296773861251&DocID=DS... but it will not install. I get this error: "Device driver cannot be installed on non-trackpoint systems" Obviously I have a trackpoint! Why might this be happening? What can I do to get the new driver installed ? Can I do it manually from device manager?
T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
T42P UXGA 15" Flexview/XP
Family- R50p/(3) X31s/ T61
Token Ring
parmardilan

Re: Error "driver cannot be installed on non-trackpoint systems"

when i disassemble my coumputer and do something major i always check to see if it boots without the touchpad (yes i love the red nub <3 and so it never recognizes it as ultranav with out the touchpad plugged in likewise if it is disabled enable it and then reinstall

ThinkPad Twist S230U-
OS-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU-Intel Core i7 3517U @ 1.90GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM-8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard-LENOVO 3347CTO (CPU Socket - U3E1)
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Audio-Realtek High Definition Audio
Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

parmardilan wrote:

when i disassemble my coumputer and do something major i always check to see if it boots without the touchpad (yes i love the red nub <3 and so it never recognizes it as ultranav with out the touchpad plugged in likewise if it is disabled enable it and then reinstall

I have not disassembled recently. Both the touchpad and the trackpoint work fine, except for in Evernote.

As I said, a driver update helped other Thinkpad users with Evernote and they pointed me to the trackpoint driver I linked.

Are you suggesting that I see if it will boot with the touchpad disabled or disconnected?

Or are you suggesting that I reinstall ultranav?

It seems that you have a suggestion, which I appreciate but don't understand.  Perhaps you could frame it in actions or causes like: " X might be confusing the installer" or X might be bad" or "try X, then Try Y"

Thanks.

T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

On Thinkpads with touchpad you must update the ultranav driver. This package also contains a trackpoint driver (see installation instructions on download page).

The driver package you tried to install is for Trackpoint-only systems like X-Series Thinkpads previous to X200.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

[ Edited ]

Mornsgrans wrote:

On Thinkpads with touchpad you must update the ultranav driver. This package also contains a trackpoint driver (see installation instructions on download page).

The driver package you tried to install is for Trackpoint-only systems like X-Series Thinkpads previous to X200.

OK, good, thanks.  I'll try that.   After years with many Thinkpads I'm still confused by their various driver approaches. And if what you say is true ( I believe you!) , I wonder why they list this driver as supporting the R4x and T4x series ?    Perhaps t's an error?  Or else it works if you don't install ultranav?  Or if you disable the touchpad? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TrackPoint Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit), Vista (32-bit) and XP - ThinkPad

Supported ThinkPad Systems:

• R50e, R51e, R60e, R61e, R61i (Machine type: 7650)
  • T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p (*1)
  • X200, X200s, X200 Tablet(*2), X201, X201i, X201s
  • X31, X32, X40, X41, X41 Tablet
  • X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet
  • Z61e
  • ThinkPad Reserve Edition

-----------------------------------------------

T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

You've forgotten to post the foot-notes:

Note:
*1: TrackPoint models only.
*2: ThinkPad X200 Tablet does not support Windows 7 Home Basic edition.

:smileywink:

Example:

R40e, R61e and R60e had no Touchpad, T40-42 also were available without touchpad as well as X200 :smileywink:

So the Trackpoint Driver and - Utilitiers were needed.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

Mornsgrans wrote:

You've forgotten to post the foot-notes:

Note:
*1: TrackPoint models only.
*2: ThinkPad X200 Tablet does not support Windows 7 Home Basic edition.

:smileywink:

Example:

R40e, R61e and R60e had no Touchpad, T40-42 also were available without touchpad as well as X200 :smileywink:

So the Trackpoint Driver and - Utilitiers were needed.

Quite right, I missed that footnote.  

I must say that I've seen quite a few but never seen nor heard of a T42p with no touchpad,and it shows as applying for that model..   I actually went to the trackpoint driver by typing in my exact machine number and it came up there as the same driver.  I like to get drivers that way, because I trust the system to only spit out drivers for my exact machine type. But no longer.  I'll check the fine print from now on.

Thanks for the help - appreciate it mucho.

T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Usually the driver list will show any drivers for any T42 series. It would be nice if it sorted out only the drivers for the options your machine shipped with, but then an additional step would have to be added if your unit has been upgraded/downgraded or even repaired with used parts, in which case you may need different drivers. It's quite common for units of this era to have upgraded parts installed so overall it's best to list all possible drivers. Some knowledge of what is in your system is implied when someone attempts to manually update drivers, for someone wanting the process automated, they can use the system update app, which does check for installed hardware and downloads only the correct drivers and utilities. 

Good luck with your quest to update the drivers and make sure to let us know if you are successful, and it seems in this case that Mornsgrans is due some kudos for sorting out the cause of the confusion...   great job!!!

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

Yes, I just found the kudos symbol, thanks for reminding me!

As far as Lenovo's approach to drivers, I do think it's misleading to ask for your machine number and then show you drivers for all the possible variations in the series. But anyway, now I know not to put much faith in the relevance of the list. It's a long list to start from.

I used the system update app years ago, but it seemed to become broken if I remember right and was recommended to uninstall....by IBM/Lenovo? Is System update ...3.x in my case, I think, is it really working?

Anyway, now that I've sorted out the confusion on the UltraNav/trackpoint driver, all is well, thanks. After setting up some 50 Thinkpads, I usually don't have too much trouble with drivers, excepting some wifi cards that (usually Intel).
T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
Guru
Mornsgrans

System Update was withdrawn for a short time about two years ago. After moving to new servers and making a few changes in TVSU it works better than before - even sometimes one or two driver will not be found.

My ThinkPad-Collection