Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
eb7380

External Monitor Only - w/ T61 Lid Closed ?

Okay .. this should be do-able .. but somehow I am struggling to set this up.

Here is my situation. I have a T61 (7661-KD7) to which I have connected an external monitor and a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. 

All I want to be able to do is this. Open the lid of my T61, power it on .. and then close the lid. So that I can continue to use my laptop .. but use ONLY the external monitor, the wireless keyboard and the wireless mouse. (I do NOT need the lid to be open after I power up the laptop)

Anyone using a similar setup ?

eb 

Paper Tape
vasboz

Re: External Monitor Only - w/ T61 Lid Closed ?

This is rather easy (Windows XP, Vista should be similar if not same procedure)

Click on the Start Menu, then click on RUN.

Type in powercfg.cpl and press OK

After this click on the Advanced TAB.

You should see an option that lists

When I close the lid of my portable computer
Shutdown (Initial setting...)

Set it to "Do Nothing"

You can then power on your notebook with it being completely closed provided you don't need fingerprint authentication. 

Hope it helps. 

Retired Moderator
vkyr

At work I use a slightly different setup, where the notebook is instead placed inside a dock to which an external monitor and a Logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse set are connected. I use this combination in a double screen mode, using both screens (the notebook screen and the external one).

However, it should be possible to setup the configuration you are looking for, with the help of the advanced power management settings. There (under the advanced power settings) you can create your own schema how the notebook should react when the lid is closed (go to standby or do nothing etc.). Further you have to setup for the screen settings that only the external monitor should be used.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Punch Card
eb7380

This should have been something so simple ... but am struggling with it. Not sure why this doesn't work for me.

1. Under Advanced Power Options .. i do have "Do Nothing" for the "When I close the lid of my portable computer:

2. And under my Presentation Director .. i do have a Display scheme called 'Monitor Only' with the following settings:

Display Config:  External Monitor

Notebook LCD options: all Disabled

External Monitor

Disable Standby and LCD Shutoff Times: Yes

Disable Screen Save: No

All I have is an external Display. But, when I close the lid .. all i see is a 'blank blue screen'

What gives > I am running XP. And my display adapter is the Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.

eb

Paper Tape
vasboz

I would go to the Presentation Directors settings and choose the bottom most option which is to cycle between modes.

Leave the Display Config on the notebook screen, and then FN+F7 your way to the External Display followed by closing your notebook screen once that works.

Are you using DVI? As I know with DVI the notebook's seem to not like it for some reason. 

What's DOS?
woolooloo

I have a similar but not identical thing I'd like to do.  I'd also like to be able to dock the thinkpad and close the lid without it going into standby and use only the external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. 

However, when it is undocked, I want it to go into standby when I close the lid.  I don't see any way to have different "close lid" settings for different profiles.  Any ideas?  I guess I can try to put it into standby manually when it isn't docked, but I know it is a matter of time before I close the lid and walk away thinking it goes into standby and drain my battery since I've been doing it this way for 10 years.

What's DOS?
jlover5000

Were you ever able to figure out.  I have the same issue.  I want to use my laptop to play movies on my HD tv.  I ONLY want it to go into "do nothing" mode when I close the lid when it is connected to the TV or an outside monitor.  Any other time I want it to go to sleep.  Doesn't seem to be any kind of an option in Windows 7 for now...