Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ibmbulldog

Fan Error message on T43 after replacing it.

I have a T43 (2687-DVU) that received a Fan Error at boot up.  I replaced it with a new fan (am sure it is correct fru) and the fan is working fine.  The temperatures are also fine on the unit (I can hear the fan, feel it blow out heat - bottom line the fan is working).  I have reseated the unit a few times - made sure thermal paste is correct - connector to motherboard is connected (otherwise the fan will not work).  I can ESC to bypass the error and run what appears normally.  I don't think I have a fan error, except in the mind of a deranged motherboard, perhaps.  I have 2 pronged question to throw out.

Would eveyone agree that this probably a motherboard problem or a fuse on the motherboard problem?

Secondly, since the unit is out of warranty, would you bother to replace the motherboard,or would you just hit the escape key and live with it. ( I know this is just an opinion in most regards, but just wondering if it's worth fixing just to avoid a keystroke at boot time). 

Thanks

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Fan Error message on T43 after replacing it.

Try enter bios on boot, and set to default.

Save and exit, enter bios again and enter any special parameters

you had set before. (boot order, etc.)

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

I'd be guessing something along the lines of a thermal sensor gone haywire.

If the machine were mine, I'd run it until it dies and then swap the planar if the rest of the laptop is still in good shape. But it's your ThinkPad.

My $0.02 only...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
ibmbulldog

Sorry I didn't mention it, but I did go into BIOS and reset to default settings earlier on.  I appreciate that suggestion and it makes sense so you were very correct to mention it.  Interesting, I did have to reset the time (that may be normal based on the fan removal prereq's - not sure), but the correct time is being retained on subsequent boots so I guess the CMOS battery is ok.  Once again, thanks for pointing that out for everyone's benefit.

Retired Guru
Duck3

[ Edited ]

I agree with George!

And you are Welcome.

Hang around and see if you can help, you seem to know what you are doing!

Paper Tape
ibmbulldog

Thanks for everyone's responses.  This Thinkpad actually belongs to one of my son's.  Assuming he can live with the inconvenience of hitting ESC, I think I may suggest that he simply does that, as George and others recommended.   The unit seems to be working fine - at least it passes all PC Doctor motherboard and system tests with flying colors.  SInce my son is now running Ubuntu, the 1GB memory limit seems not a big limitation, and the unit may last awhile.

I "retired" from IBM a little over a year ago, a little earlier than I intended, a victim like so many IT people.  Both my sons have Thinkpads, as did also did forever.  I lost my when I left IBM.  I have enjoyed the fellowship of working with you guys, even briefly.  I appreciate everyone's willingness to help and I hope I can contribute in the future. 

If I decide to replace the system board, I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Thanks again for everyones support.....

**bleep**

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

If you decide to swap the board, feel free to drop me a PM.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.