Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Billy-Bob
Accepted Solution

Fingerprint Enrollment in constant endless loop

[ Edited ]
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T42

As indicated, Fingerprint Enrollment has suddenly gone into a constant endless loop. Impossible to get into laptop regardless of which user login is used, admin or not. Pressing F8 for last good configuration only takes me back to the same place. I do NOT want to restore to original state (pressing IBM Access button), due to my not wanting loss of all data. I've tried and retried, reregistering with the fingerprinting procedures, but only to inevitably fall back to repeat the same fingerprinting procedure over and over again. It would appear as if all prior registration/enrollment info was somehow lost, and that even though re-enrolling gives the "Success!" message, it never takes. Endless frustrating loop.

Suggestions? Help? I urgently need some help here.

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]

If I try and bypass the Fingerprint login to just access the standard Windows Login screen, it first says "Loading Personal Settings" and the takes me right back to the ThankVantage Fingerprint Enrollment screen again. A never-ending loop.

Message Edited by Billy-Bob on 04-10-2008 01:59 PM

Message Edited by Billy-Bob on 04-10-2008 02:00 PM
Paper Tape
Billy-Bob

Re: Fingerprint Enrollment in constant endless loop

OK. I'm able to log in as admin in Safe Mode but I'm unable to uninstall ThinkPad Fingerprint software in Add/Remove Programs due to Windows installer service not running in Safe Mode and the inability to start the service in that mode.

Any suggestions as to how I can uninstall this garbage in Safe Mode that's giving me so many problems?

btw... the Windows op sys is WinXP pro
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

If you have admin priviliges you can logon with password instead of finger print, I believe this should de-activate the FP software.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Billy-Bob

Thanks for replying, but that's the point. As I indicated in my first post above, when I bypass the fingerprint login with Ctrl-Alt+Del to go to the standard Windows login for user name/ password and then supply that info, it first says "Loading Personal Settings" as if I'm loading Windows but then it takes me right back to the ThankVantage Fingerprint Enrollment screen again. A never-ending loop. Over and over again.
andyP

I'm using my T43 at the moment and don't have the FP activated, is it possible to de-activate it using msconfig in safe mode?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Billy-Bob

I've actually gone into msconfig in Safe mode, clicked Selective Startup, checked "Hide all Microsoft services", clicked the "Disable All" button. This should start Windows with a "clean boot" so that I can access Add/Remove programs to get rid of this Fingerprint software... BUT.......... as soon as I restarted, the "Please swipe your finger / or press Ctrl+Alt+Del to logon using a password" comes up AGAIN and it shouldn't!!!

Then I'm back to that endless loop again.
What now? Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks again
andyP

Next idea. using msconfig I have in system start an entry c:\programs\thinkvantage fingerprint software\launcher.exe /startup maybe you could rename the exe file?

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Billy-Bob

Thanks Andy!  That helped! I was able to finally get in to remove that fingerprint crap. I uninstalled it. Now I just have my standard Windows logon which is all I or anyone else really need.

But it was really bizarre that this even began to suddenly happen.  btw... when I went to uninstall it, it gave me the option of saving "Passport" profile data. Screw that!  I completely uninstalled the darn thing! It was a nightmare and I don't want any chance of the problem reocurring again.

Thanks again for your help.
andyP

Phew, thank goodness for that. I was thinking;
"if Billy-Bob comes back and says it hadn't worked - I'm run..! outa-here"

Glad to have been able to help. :smileyhappy:

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

What's DOS?
jidus

I'm able to log in as administrator in safe mode.. However, i do not see that process in msconfig. I also tried renaming launcher.exe to "no.exe", and placed it in a subfolder called "lol". It still loops when I try to log in to windows. What should I do?

just for clarification, the file is now c:/program files/thinkvantage fingerprint software/lol/no.exe