Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
lcmjd

Fixmbr-KIT FROM LENOVO SITE-see message 7--- Clone on a T42 w- 2nd HDD bay-VIP

[ Edited ]

=========== [this is copy of message 7--below ]==========

I just remembered that Thinkpads have 4 sectors for MBR.

I used acronis disk director to copy all partitions  from my Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm incl

the 3 primaries --xp; zenwalk; & freespire and 6 logical where freespire 3rd part was given active

I try the boot test and the boot loader -GRUB from freespire says error 15

Next I  use Acronis diskdir to delete the two linux partitions  then

resized my now active xp - c drv and changed position of the logicall drives to start within the area of

the old primary freespire partition. 

NOW I try the boot test and the boot loader -GRUB from freespire says error 22

Next I try to use xp recovery and do a fixmbr  then go back and do a fixboot then fixmbr 

...... now I realize it has 4 sectors for thinkpads  -note that I already deleted the hidden partition

I believe the copies are good just need to rebuild my mbr

--you may know a better way or improvement on one of the two options I see here-

1- use Acronis disk directors   -  Diskkeeper or editor app and type in the info if it will do the 4 sectors-or

2-find a fixmbr kit like the one at the dnld -support area of ibmthink pad for my 2378-fvu T42 dated 2006

at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62978

--also does one need to do a HDD firmware update to the hitachi I have if the update is dated 3-7-08?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62282

I would try the ibm fixmbr kit first 

Do you or someone you know have more on this?

I have 1000+ hours on this drive & previous windows versions and

not cloning seems much less desireable. ------mjduganx-yahoocom--

You help will be appreciated and I am inclined to leave my private line # via email.

MJ

old message----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd edit --Has Anyone cloned on a thinkpad with 2nd HDD bay?!?!

also third primary partition is Active see below--

I have to clone 2 drives on a Lenovo T-42 and I have Acronis true Image 11 running on XP or

maxblast 4 on usb floppy to try to clone. Do I go into bios to disable the "predesktop area"?

or is it not needed as I deleted the recovery partition? I have split drive to 3 primaries and 6 logical

partitions. 1st -win xp then a Zen linux, then a linux freespire partition that is the active partition-

Freespires Grub loader has a list to pick winxp or freespire.  My goal is to get trueimage to run from xp then

reboot to do a bit by bit continuous clone like the maxblast can do. I think I was at one time successful in using

the floppy usb drive with maxblast4.

I would be appreciative If anyone knows even some knowledge, they can reply.

Thank you

Mitch

2nd edit--

First reply did not see my added edited changes to message--

-----has any one used true image on a T-series before with no

----recovery partition and 3rd primary partition is Active?

Message Edited by lcmjd on 07-04-2008 01:14 PM
Message Edited by lcmjd on 07-04-2008 01:28 PM
Message Edited by lcmjd on 07-04-2008 05:27 PM
Message Edited by lcmjd on 07-06-2008 01:15 PM
Message Edited by lcmjd on 07-06-2008 01:16 PM
Message Edited by lcmjd on 07-06-2008 01:19 PM
802.11n
sipp11

Re: Common Activity----Looking to clone two Hitachi pata drives using 2nd hdd bay - vip

I bet "predesktop area" is ThinkVantage Rescue & Recovery partition. If so, you just delete that parition and set a boot flag (Active) to Windows partition. That will be all set. There is nothing else you have to do.

BIOS doesn't have anything to do with this.

Fanfold Paper
lcmjd

Re: Common Activity----Looking to clone two Hitachi pata drives using 2nd hdd bay - vip

Hi Sipp

can you tell me how one clones with the specs in my edited message?

Thank you so much

Mitch

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

My suggestion is to open Acronis and make the bootable media disc. Then you boot up to it and do all your cloning from there. That will make it much easier to be sure your Linux installs are cloned too. The 2nd drive bay is not a problem nor is the 3 active partitions if you run from the bootable media. If you have emptied the restore partition go ahead and disable the predesktop area.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
lcmjd

Hey carbon_unit --

I will try your suggestions.

Do you mean to say I should use a usb cd drive or floppy drive since the ultra slim is holding the

2nd hdd?

I have a usb floppy and not yet a cd player. Just now I opened Acronis and each time it hangs at the last

partition it analyzes and does not continue. Do you know about this?

MJ

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

You would have to use a USB CD drive touse the 2nd hard drive adapter. I usually use a USB hard drive adapter to connect the old hard drive and put the new hard drive in the thinkpad, then I boot from the Acronis CD in the built in optical drive.

Try making the boot cd and booting to it. Then have it analyze the partitions and see if it hangs. Acronis acts different in live mode than it does in windows mode.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
lcmjd

I just remembered that Thinkpads have 4 sectors for MBR.

I used acronis disk director to copy all partitions  from my Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm incl

the 3 primaries --xp; zenwalk; & freespire and 6 logical where freespire 3rd part was given active

I try the boot test and the boot loader -GRUB from freespire says error 15

Next I  use Acronis diskdir to delete the two linux partitions  then

resized my now active xp - c drv and changed position of the logicall drives to start within the area of

the old primary freespire partition. 

NOW I try the boot test and the boot loader -GRUB from freespire says error 22

Next I try to use xp recovery and do a fixmbr  then go back and do a fixboot then fixmbr 

...... now I realize it has 4 sectors for thinkpads  -note that I already deleted the hidden partition

I believe the copies are good just need to rebuild my mbr

--you may know a better way or improvement on one of the two options I see here-

1- use Acronis disk directors   -  Diskkeeper or editor app and type in the info if it will do the 4 sectors-or

2-find a fixmbr kit like the one at the dnld -support area of ibmthink pad for my 2378-fvu T42 dated 2006

at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62978

--also does one need to do a HDD firmware update to the hitachi I have if the update is dated 3-7-08?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62282

I would try the ibm fixmbr kit first 

Do you or someone you know have more on this?

I have 1000+ hours on this drive & previous windows versions and

not cloning seems much less desireable. ------mjduganx-yahoocom--

You help will be appreciated and I am inclined to leave my private line # via email.

MJ